This Vegan Stuffing Recipe is packed with onion, celery, green apple and fresh sage! It’s flavorful and the perfect vegan side dish!
- 6–8 cups cubed bread, I used one loaf of French bread
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 medium sized green apple, small diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Dice your bread into bite size pieces. Either leave bread out overnight on a sheet pan to get stale or bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until crispy. Add bread to a large bowl.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes and then add the celery, apple and dried cranberries and a pinch of salt. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, fresh herbs, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well and then add to the bowl of bread. Mix together and then pour in the vegetable broth and mix again. I don’t like a lot of liquid in my stuffing so I just use 1 1/2 cups but you could use more if you like.
- Pour stuffing mixture into a large buttered baking dish and press down lightly. Optional: place a few small dabs of butter on top of the stuffing and then cover baking dish with foil. Bake covered for 30 minutes and then remove foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until stuffing is browned and crispy on top.