This Vegan Taco Meat is made with extra firm tofu and walnuts and is so flavorful with great texture!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, or oil of choice
- `1 package extra firm tofu (14-16 oz)
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons water
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Use your fingers to crumble up the tofu into bite size pieces and place it in the pan. Cook tofu until starting to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add walnuts to a food processor and blend until they have a crumb-like texture. Add all spices to a small bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the walnuts and spices to the tofu and stir. In a small bowl, mix together the water and tomato paste. Pour over the tofu mixture, stir and cook until all water has cooked out. Add Vegan Taco Meat to your desired dish and enjoy!
This Vegan Taco Meat would be great to use a ground beef substitute on pasta. I would just suggest omitting the cumin and smoked paprika and upping the dried oregano.