- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups kale leaves, torn into small pieces
- 2 cups white beans, cannellini or northern white beans
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, gluten free if necessary
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese – omit if making vegan
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon tried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 8–10 slider sized buns, gluten free if necessary
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir for 3 minutes, until onion is softened. Add tomato paste and stir. Then add kale leaves and cover with a lid. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until kale is wilted.
- In a large bowl add the brown rice, white beans, bread crumbs, feta, olives, kale mixture, oregano, thyme, and parsley. Mix until combined and then add mixture to a food processor. Blend for about 30 seconds until mixture is blended together, but still slightly chunky. Form mixture into balls, about palm sized, and place on a tray lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Place meatballs into the pan and cook until browned on all sides, about 10-15 minutes. Pour tomato sauce over and stir.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees fierenheit. Place buns on a large sheet pan and toast in the oven until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Spoon meatballs and sauce onto buns and enjoy!