These Crispy Buffalo Tofu Lettuce Wraps are easy to make and great for a flavorful and filling lunch or dinner! You can load them up with crunchy, fresh vegetables, feta or blue cheese and ranch dressing! These plant based buffalo tofu wraps are packed with protein, but also light and refreshing.
This buffalo tofu is one of my favorite recipes to make! It’s much easier than you would think to prepare and the flavor and texture is so perfect. These Buffalo Tofu Lettuce Wraps are light and refreshing, but also flavorful and filling. Enjoy for lunch or a nice summer dinner!
Lettuce wraps are such a great summer meal idea. They’re not as heavy as a flour tortilla would be and they taste great loaded up with your favorite toppings. I like to serve these Buffalo Tofu Lettuce Wraps with a side of chips or fries. I hope you enjoy!
Buffalo Tofu Lettuce Wrap Recipe Ingredients
- Tofu – I like to use super firm, high protein tofu that I get from either Trader Joe’s or Sprouts. All you need to do is pat it dry, no pressing needed. If you can’t find super firm tofu, you can use extra firm tofu and make sure to press it for about 15 minutes.
- Batter – The batter is made using all purpose flour, milk (plant based) and spices. I like to add in some paprika, granulated garlic and salt and pepper.
- Panko – I like to use panko to make the tofu extra crispy, but regular bread crumbs will also work. You can also use crushed up crackers if you don’t have breadcrumbs.
- Lettuce – You want to use a lettuce that can be used as a wrap. I would recommend romaine lettuce or butter lettuce.
- Optional Toppings – You can top these buffalo tofu lettuce wraps with anything you like. I used thinly sliced celery, carrots, red onion, avocado and cucumber. I also added some feta cheese, or blue cheese, and some ranch dressing. Let me know if you have questions about what to top yours with!
How To make Buffalo Tofu Lettuce Wraps
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F. Pat your tofu dry and press, if needed. You can either cut the tofu into little bite sized pieces or you can tear it into chunks. I like to tear mine into chunks because it makes the tofu have more nooks and crannies for the sauce to get stuck in.
- To a large bowl, add the flour and spices. Give it a quick mix and then add in the milk. Whisk together until you have a thick batter. Add the tofu chunks into the bowl and gently mix until all the tofu is completely coated in the batter.
- Pour the panko over the tofu and carefully mix together until the tofu is coated with the panko. The panko should stick pretty well to the tofu, but you can also use your fingers to press it on, if there are any parts of the tofu that are lacking in batter.
- Spray a large sheet pan with cooking spray and carefully dump the tofu onto the pan. Use your hands to spread the tofu out, making sure it’s in a single layer and not stuck together. Spray the top of the tofu with more cooking spray and place in the oven. Bake tofu until golden brown and crispy, 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove tofu from the oven and add to a medium sized bowl. Pour the buffalo sauce over and mix until tofu is completely coated with the sauce.
- Assemble your lettuce wraps: carefully pull apart your head of lettuce so that you have some good sized lettuce wraps. To each wrap, add a few spoonfuls of the buffalo tofu and then top with your favorite toppings.
Buffalo Tofu Wraps Frequently Asked Questions
- Can this recipe be made gluten free? Yes, just use GF panko breadcrumbs.
- Are these buffalo tofu lettuce wraps vegan? I topped mine with feta cheese, so mine are not vegan, but this recipe can easily be made vegan. Just make sure to use plant based milk for the batter.
- Can these lettuce wraps be made ahead of time? The tofu is crispiest immediately out of the oven, but can be re-heated in the microwave, stovetop or in the oven. It might not be quite as crispy when re-heated but it will still be good.
- What kind of buffalo sauce should be used? I’ve made my own buffalo sauce in the past, but I don’t handle spicy food too well, so I’ve recently been loving the Sweet Baby Ray’s mild buffalo sauce.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!