These Chocolate Covered Rice Cakes are perfect for a sweet treat or dessert! You can customize the toppings and even have your kids help make them!
Today we are talking Chocolate Covered Rice Cakes! They’re a new favorite around the house and so easy to make. I just became familiar with the concept a few months ago after I saw another child eating them at a playgroup. I then happened to see them at Sprouts shorty after and knew that we had to make our own!
The chocolate covered rice cakes that I’ve seen at the store are all well and good, but why not also top them with fun toppings?! This also allows you to add a few ingredients with a little substance and I’ve found that kids love to help with this part 🙂
What Are Chocolate Covered Rice Cakes?
Just as it sounds, they’re rice cakes that are covered with melted chocolate. You then top them with your favorite toppings and let the chocolate harden. They’re great for a sweet treat or dessert. A few things I love about chocolate covered rice cakes:
- You can use whatever kind of chocolate you want! You can use dairy free chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, etc… You could also cover them with one kind of chocolate and then drizzle another kind on top.
- You can get creative with the toppings! I knew I wanted to do a few different flavors so I just walked down the bulk food aisle at Sprouts and picked a few of my favorite dry ingredients. The possibilities are really endless.
- They’re fun to make with kids! I handled the hot, melted chocolate but I let my son add some of the topping and he loved it. Although, he was not thrilled that we had to wait for the chocolate to harden 🙂
You can make your Chocolate Covered Rice Cakes anyway you like, but here are a few flavors that you can use as inspiration:
Strawberries and Cream
This was one of my favorite flavors! I used white chocolate and freeze dried strawberries. You can usually find freeze dried strawberries in the dried fruit section of the grocery store. I have good luck finding them at Target.
Roasted Peanut Chocolate
Peanut and chocolate is such a classic and delicious flavor combination! I like to use roasted, salted peanuts but you could use any kind of peanut you like, or even another nut all together.
Dried Cranberry and Pistachio
I took the inspiration for these ones from one of my favorite kinds of chocolate bark. Nuts and dried fruit go together so well and are perfect on top of a chocolate rice cake.
Adding granola to your chocolate rice cakes is fun because there are so many flavors of granola out there! I used a maple almond flavor for these rice cakes but a chocolate or pumpkin granola would be great too.
A few tips for making the best Chocolate Covered Rice Cakes:
- When making these for kids I like to use mini rice cakes. They’re easier to eat and you use less chocolate on each of them.
- I like to store them in an airtight container on the kitchen counter. You don’t want to store them for too long though because the texture of the rice cake doesn’t hold up super well after it’s been dipped in chocolate.
- Let your kids help pick the toppings! This will make them excited to eat them, not that most kids need a reason to get excited about eating chocolate 🙂
- Don’t use too much chocolate. I like to put a spoonful on and then spread off any excess chocolate. You just want a light coating.