This Chopped Kale Power Salad is packed with so many delicious ingredients! It’s healthy, filling and so flavorful. It’s great for lunch, dinner and can easily be meal prepped.
*This recipe was originally published on 1/3/16. Today I have republished it with updated photos and text.
One of my favorite things to eat are salads that are loaded with all kinds of goodies. This Chopped Kale Power Salad is the perfect example of what I love. It’s packed with kale, sweet potato, avocado, chickpeas, almonds, dried cranberries and red onion. It’s also topped with a super easy lemon tahini dressing!
I originally developed this recipe quite a few years ago and it still happens to be one that I make all the time! It’s great for lunch or dinner and can easily be made into a meal prep lunch so you can enjoy it all week long.
WHAT IS A POWER SALAD?
When I hear the words “Power Salad” I automatically think of a big salad that is packed with healthy veggies, protein, carbs, nuts and even fruit sometimes. A power salad can be eaten for a substantial lunch or dinner and it will leave you feeling happy and full. It’s definitely not dinner side salad material 🙂
CHOPPED KALE POWER SALAD INGREDIENTS
- Kale – I love raw kale! I know a lot of people don’t quite feel the same way, so if you’ve tried massaged kale in a salad and you still don’t like it, then you could substitute any other kind of green you like. If you think you don’t like kale but you’ve never tried it massaged in a salad, I would urge you to give it a try and it might surprise you!
- Chickpeas – I love adding chickpeas to my salads because they add protein, they’re a no prep ingredient and they have a pretty mild taste so they won’t interfere with any other strong flavors.
- Sweet Potato – Roasted sweet potato is great in salads because it adds nutrients, it makes it feel more filling and the sweet flavor goes great with all the other power salad ingredients.
- Avocado – Avocado is great to add to anything because it has heart healthy fats and adds a nice creamy texture.
- Dried Cranberries – I love having some sweetness in my salad. Dried cranberries are great because they’re slightly chewy and are a little sweet and a little tart.
- Almonds – I prefer to use roasted nuts in my salads instead of croutons when I can. Nuts are full of heart healthy fats and they add a crunchy element.
- Red Onion – I love raw onion to my salads! This salad has a rich, creamy dressing and I feel like the onion does a nice job of cutting through that richness.
WHAT KIND OF DRESSING SHOULD I USE?
You can use whatever kind of dressing you like on this Chopped Kale Power Salad! But, I would highly recommend my super quick and easy homemade lemon tahini dressing. It’s creamy and tangy and goes perfectly with the rest of the ingredients. All you need is tahini, lemon juice and salt.
A Quick note about the tahini-
I’ve found that some tahini brands are really bitter and the different brands can also vary in thickness. If you find yourself with a more bitter tasting tahini, you can add a little maple syrup to help counter that bitterness. Also, you may end up needing to add more or less liquid that my recipe suggests if you have a super thick or thin tahini sauce.