These easy and delicious sweet potato noodles are a great holiday side dish! Gluten free and vegan!
Good morning! Or maybe afternoon where you are 🙂 Lately I feel so sleep deprived that I’ve lost track of time. My 15 month old is either teething or has decided he hates me and that I don’t need sleep anymore. I’m hoping it’s the first one 🙂
I’ve been making up for the lack of sleep by eating lots of food! These Garlic Parmesan Sweet Potato Noodles are a new favorite around here. They’re really flavorful and great for a dressed up sweet potato side dish on your holiday table this year!
They’re also great for a lunch or dinner if you add some extra protein. I would suggest white beans, chickpeas or baked tofu. I’m really into hearty bowls that are assembled using some protein, veggies and starches. These sweet potato noodles go really well with a kale salad and white beans or chickpeas and a little tahini dressing 🙂
In order to make these Garlic Parmesan Sweet Potato Noodles vegan, I’ve used an awesome vegan parmesan recipe. All you do is blend up some nutritional yeast, cashews and a pinch of salt and you’ve got yourself a nice cheesy topping. It’s so good that I like to have it around at all times to throw onto practically everything I eat 🙂
As much as I like the traditional sides, such as mashed potatoes or roasted sweet potatoes, I also like to mix things up and really impress my holiday guests. I think these Garlic Parmesan Sweet Potato Noodles would be the perfect way to do that! They’re not something people see everyday and they have such great flavor!
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do and I also hope I’ll have caught up on my sleep next time we chat 🙂Print
A flavorful and delicious take on sweet potato noodles! Perfect for a holiday side dish!
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled (You want them to be pretty uniform in size throughout the whole sweet potato. That will make it much easier for spiralizing.)
- 2 teaspoons oil of your choice, I used coconut
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons butter, I used vegan buttery spread
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish, if desired
- Add the nutrition yeast, cashews and a pinch of salt to a food processor, or blender, and blend until cashews are mostly broken down and in very small pieces (see photo above). Set aside
- Use a spiralizer to spiralize the sweet potato. I like to use the middle thickness setting. If you don’t have a spiralizer you could also grate the sweet potato on the thick side of the grater.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add coconut oil, spiralized sweet potato and a pinch of salt. Cook sweet potato for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the water, cover and let sweet potatoes cook for about 10 minutes, stirring once. I like my sweet potato noodles with a little bit to them, but feel free to cook as long or as little as you like.
- Move sweet potato noodles to the side of the pan and add the butter and garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add in the vegan parmesan and stir everything together. Add in a handful of chopped fresh parsley, if desired. Sweet potato noodles are best when served soon after they’re cooked.
Sweet potato noodles serve about 4-6 people as a side dish and make about 2-3 servings if eating as a main dish. Recipe is easily doubled or tripled if needed.
Vegan Parmesan inspired from this recipe by Minimalist Baker.
You may also enjoy: