A healthy and delicious fall appetizer that everyone will love!
Hello! Not only do I have these delicious Roasted Butternut Squash Falafel Bites for you today, but we’re also having a Virtual Baby Shower for 3 of my awesome blogging friends! Yes, 3 of them are having babies soon and I’m so excited for them!
Today we are celebrating Ashley from The Recipe Rebel who will be welcoming her third daughter, Denise from Sweet Peas and Saffron who will be welcoming her second son and Kristine from Kristine’s Kitchen who will be welcoming her fourth child, whose gender will be a surprise!
Working from home on the blog can be a pretty isolating job sometimes but over the years I’ve had the pleasure to meet some amazing ladies! We bounce ideas off each other, encourage one another and even give advice on personal issues. I seriously don’t know what I would do without these ladies in my life! I’m so excited to be celebrating three of them today! Don’t forget to scroll to the bottom of the page for more Baby Shower treats!
Ashley, Denise and Kristine: we want to wish you ladies a huge congratulations and we’re so excited to watch as your families grow! You’re all already amazing mothers and these new babies are so lucky 🙂
I decided to go the savory route because let’s face it, desserts aren’t always my speciality 🙂 I love making different kinds of falafel and thought it would be perfect to serve them as an appetizer rather than a main dish. They’re pretty much the same as a falafel ball that you would put into a pita, but instead you eat them as an appetizer dipped in my citrus tahini sauce.
I gave them a seasonal spin by blending in some roasted butternut squash and they’re so good! It adds a nice color, some extra nutrients and a great sweet flavor. The falafel bites are small and perfect for dipping!
If you’re looking for an appetizer to bring to your next party, these falafel bites are great! They’re healthy, delicious and really easy to make. Enjoy!Print
A delicious and flavorful appetizer that is perfect for fall!
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 6 cups) peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for brushing on top
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup flour, gluten free or regular, I used almond meal
Citrus Tahini Sauce:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- Juice of 1 lemom
- Juice of 1 small orange
- 1/4 cup water, or more depending on how thick your tahini is
- Salt, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel butternut squash, cut in half, lengthwise, remove seeds and chop into bite size pieces. You should get about 6 cups. Place butternut squash on a large sheet pan and toss with 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Roast butternut squash until fork tender, 40-45 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Place the onion, garlic, cilantro and parsley in a food processor and process for 10-15 seconds. Next, add the butternut squash, chickpeas, 1 teaspoon salt, cumin and cayenne pepper. Blend until mixture is combined (you may need to do it in two batches). Next, sprinkle in the flour and blend again until flour is mine in.
- Line a large baking sheet with a non-stick mat or parchment paper. Use a scooper or spoon and scoop about one heaping tablespoon of falafel mix out, roll it into a ball in your hands and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until all the mix is gone.
- Brush the top of each falafel with a small amount of olive oil (optional) and bake for about 30 minutes, flipping once.
- Make the sauce while the falafel is baking. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
If serving as an appetizer, I like to place some salad greens onto a platter, top with falafel bites and a bowl of dipping sauce.
Check out these delicious baby shower treats!!
Maple Walnut Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes by Savory Nothings
Buttermilk Pumpkin Donuts by A Latte Food
Easy Pumpkin Danish by Pumpkin N’ Spice
Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes by Live Well Bake Often
Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars by Bakerita
Mini Apple Crisps by Life Made Sweeter
Spicy Apple-Tomato Salsa by Floating Kitchen
Pumpkin Spice Latte Bread Pudding by Whole and Heavenly Oven
Cinnamon Apple Brie Crostini by Flying on Jess Fuel
Apple Pie Bars by Bake.Eat.Repeat
Honey Apple Butter Greek Yogurt Dip by My Sequined Life
Butternut Squash Hummus with Spiced Pepitas by Flavor the Moments