I think that I have professed my love for Mexican food and my husbands love for pizza before, but in case you missed it, it is safe to say that those would be each of our “desert island” or “if you could only eat one food for the rest of your life” foods. So, it is only natural that our perfect dinner, one that we can always agree on, is taco pizza. I’ve eaten a lot of taco pizzas in my day from many different restaurants. In my opinion, what really makes a taco pizza stand out and takes it to the next level is the chips crumbled up on top of it. Some places don’t use any chips, big mistake, can you even call that a taco pizza? Some places use regular, plan tortilla chips, better, but still not great. Other paces, that I wasn’t aware of until I visited my husband (then boyfriend) at home in Dubuque, IA, use crumbled up Nacho Cheese Doritos. Not only does it add a crunch, but it also adds a delicious cheese flavor,(that is if you like Nacho Cheese Doritos). Sometimes we even add Taco Flavor Doritos to the top of it, both flavors really make this taco pizza delicious.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 pizza crust or pizza dough, I used a Boboli pre-made crust
- Taco sauce, I used 1/2 cup plus a few tablespoons, it will depend on the size of your crust and the amount of sauce you prefer
- Grated cheese, I used about 2 big handfuls of cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound of ground meat, browned, I seasoned mine with a little bit of salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, and paprika.
- 1 Cup of black beans
- Crumbled up Nacho Cheese or Taco flavored Doritos, or chip of your choice, I used about 1 large handful
- Additional toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomato, diced red onion, diced avocado, salsa, etc…
What To Do:
- Preheat oven according to temperature the pizza crust you are using requires. If you are using pizza dough, roll it out and pre bake it if required by the recipe.
- Top your crust with the taco sauce and spread out evenly.
- Next add the layer of ground meat, then beans, then finally top with the cheese.
- Put the pizza in the oven and bake according to pizza crust directions, or until crust is cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Take the pizza out of the oven and let cook for a few minutes.
- Top with your favorite taco toppings, such as: lettuce, tomato, onion, then add the chips.
- Slice and enjoy!