Looking for a vegan friendly Super Bowl snack that everyone will love? These easy Vegan Buffalo Tofu Wings are so delicious and packed with flavor! You can make this recipe using tofu or cauliflower and it turns out perfect every time. Serve with a side of ranch or blue cheese dressing and veggies.
The Super Bowl is coming up this weekend and these Buffalo Tofu Wings are the perfect appetizer to make that everyone can enjoy! They’re vegan and can easily be made gluten free, if needed. Serve these delicious little bites with some ranch dressing and veggies.
Why You’ll Love These Tofu Buffalo Wings!
- They’re easy to make – There are only a few steps needed to make these crispy buffalo tofu wings. The tofu gets chunked up, coated with bater and breadcrumbs and then baked until crispy. I like to make this recipe even easier by using bottled wing sauce.
- They’re a great plant based chicken alternative – My meat eating husband has no complaints about these vegan buffalo wings made with tofu! The texture and flavor is so good!
- They’re perfect for game day – Bring these vegetarian wings to your next Super Bowl party and everyone can feel good about enjoying them!
Vegan Buffalo Wing Recipe Ingredients
- Tofu – I like to use super firm, high protein tofu that I get from either Trader Joe’s or Sprouts. All you need to do is pat it dry, no pressing needed. If you can’t find super firm tofu, you can use extra firm tofu and make sure to press it for about 15 minutes.
- Batter – The batter is made using all purpose flour, milk (plant based) and spices. I like to add in some paprika, granulated garlic and salt and pepper.
- Panko – I like to use panko to make the tofu extra crispy, but regular bread crumbs will also work. You can also use crushed up crackers if you don’t have breadcrumbs.
- Buffalo Sauce – You’re more than welcome to make your own buffalo sauce using hot sauce, butter an maple syrup (or another sweetener ). I like to use Sweet Baby Ray’s bottled wing sauce because it’s easy and I love the taste. You can get mild or regular.
How To Make The Best Vegan Buffalo Wings
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F. Pat your tofu dry and press, if needed. You can either cut the tofu into little bite sized pieces or you can tear it into chunks. I like to tear mine into chunks because it makes the tofu have more nooks and crannies for the sauce to get stuck in.
- To a large bowl, add the milk, flour and spices. Whisk together until you have a thick batter. Add the tofu chunks into the bowl and gently mix until all the tofu is completely coated in the batter.
- Pour the panko over the tofu and carefully mix together until the tofu is coated with the panko. The panko should stick pretty well to the tofu, but you can also use your fingers to press it on, if there are any parts of the tofu that are lacking in batter.
- Spray a large sheet pan with cooking spray and carefully dump the tofu onto the pan. Use your hands to spread the tofu out, making sure it’s in a single layer and not stuck together. Spray the top of the tofu with more cooking spray and place in the oven. Bake tofu golden brown and crispy, 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove tofu from the oven and add to a medium sized bowl. Pour the buffalo sauce over and mix until tofu is completely coated with the sauce. Place back in the oven and bake for another 5 minutes. You can add extra sauce after you’ve taken the tofu wings out of the oven if you like. Serve buffalo tofu tofu with ranch or blue cheese dip and veggies.
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this recipe gluten free? No, I did use regular flour and bread crumbs but it can easily be made gluten free if you use GF flour and breadcrumbs in place.
- Are these tofu buffalo wings vegan? Yes, I do use a plant based milk in the batter recipe so these wings are totally vegan.
- Can these be made with cauliflower instead of tofu? Yes, I often make this exact recipe but swap out the tofu for cauliflower florets.
- Can these tofu wings be made ahead of time? They can, but they are best right out of the oven because that is when they are most crispy.
- Can these wings be re-heated? Yes, I would recommend re-heating in the oven, rather than the microwave, if you want them to stay crispy.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!