These Veggie Sandwiches with Hummus are easy to make and perfect to pack up for your summer picnics, pool parties, outdoor adventures and more! They are also great for a healthy work lunch and will give you something to look forward to. This vegetarian sandwich is great when you’re craving veggies and want something fresh and healthy.
I didn’t originally plan to post two sandwich recipes in a row, but I guess I’ve had sandwiches on the brain with the warmer summer weather we’ve been having. These Veggie Sandwiches with Hummus are kind of like a no-recipe recipe, but they’re too good not to share!
I saw someone on TikTok doing a summer sandwich series and she was calling them her “Pool Sandwiches”. I kinda love the idea of a summer pool sandwich, so this veggie packed hummus sandwich is my version! I hope you all are having a great summer and getting to a lake or pool as much as you can!
Veggie Sandwiches with Hummus Recipe Ingredients and Substitutions
- Bread – You can use whatever type of sandwich bread you like. I just used regular, whole wheat sandwich bread. A hoagie style roll or even a tortilla wrap would work too.
- Hummus – I used plain hummus because that’s what I had on hand, but feel free to use a flavored hummus on yours. There is a caramelized onion and balsamic hummus I’ve had before that would be really great on this sandwich!
- Feta Cheese – I added some feta cheese for creaminess and saltiness. You can also use goat cheese, Boursin cheese (regular or dairy free), dairy free feta cheese or you can omit the cheese.
- Veggies – I added lettuce, cucumber, tomato, avocado and red onion. You can add any other vegetables you like.
- Fresh Herbs – I add some fresh dill but any other fresh herbs would go great with these ingredients.
How To Make The Best Vegetarian Sandwich
- Thinly slice your tomato, cucumber, avocado and red onion. Dice your fresh herbs and tear your lettuce into small pieces. Slice feta into thin pieces.
- Toast bread, if desired. Lay one slice of bread on a cutting board or plate. Spread the slice of bread with a few spoonfuls of hummus and then add the feta cheese.
- Next, layer all of the vegetables onto the sandwich. I like to season between a few of the layers with a little salt and pepper to add extra flavor. Add the fresh herbs wherever you prefer on the sandwich. Slice sandwich in half and enjoy!
Veggie Hummus Sandwiches Frequently Asked Questions
- Can gluten free bread be used for these sandwiches? Definitely!
- Are these veggie sandwiches vegan? I did use regular feta cheese, but cheese can be omitted or vegan cheese can be used.
- Does the bread need to be toasted? I didn’t toast my bread, but you can decide whether or not you want yours toasted or not.
- How long will sandwiches last if packed to go? If you use a good sturdy bread, or toast your bread, they should hold up for for up to 24 hours without getting too soggy. If you are packing these sandwiches to eat at a later time, I would recommend patting your veggies dry before adding to the sandwich.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!