This Pizza Skillet Casserole is so comforting and comes together in only 30 minutes!
Sickness struck again last week in this house and it was even worse than last time. It turns out you don’t get to rest as much when you have a crazy crawling 9 month old to look after all day. Thankfully we are on the up and up now though.
There’s always that feeling when you’ve recovered from being sick where you’re so happy you’re feeling better so you just want to go out and enjoy the world. But, at the same time, you’re terrified of getting sick again so you don’t want to touch anything when you’re out and the hand sanitizer is flowing.
I feel like it’s more important than ever to eat healthy when you’re sick, but at the same time you have no energy to cook. That’s when 30 minute, one pot meals come in really handy. This recipe was inspired by my husband’s favorite food in the universe: pizza!
This pizza skillet casserole is adapted from one of my most popular recipes: my stove-top skillet enchiladas. It’s the same idea, cook up some veggies, add some chopped up tortillas and sauce and mix it all together and then melt some cheese in. It’s totally delicious and so comforting! Enjoy 🙂Print
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 large flour tortillas, diced into bite sized pieces I used gluten free
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small summer squash, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese, I used non-dairy
- Chopped fresh basil for garnish, if desired.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 teaspoons olive oil and the diced tortillas. Cook tortillas until browned, 5 minutes. Remove tortillas from the skillet.
- Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and all the diced vegetables and cook until vegetables have softened, 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add back in the tortillas, tomato sauce and spices and let simmer. Next, add in 3/4 cups cheese and stir until melted, 2-3 minutes. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and cover until melted. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.