These Tempeh & Chickpea Sloppy Joes are a delicious quick and easy vegan dinner!
I just dropped my mom off at the airport and I’m so sad! She was here visiting for a week and it was so nice. She got to spend some good quality time with Eli, she was so helpful around the house and did I mention that she is a massage therapist?! Let’s just say I got a little spoiled having her around 🙂
I felt like the least I could do was cook us a nice meal, so I decided to make these 30 Minute Tempeh and Chickpea Sloppy Joes. I’m happy to report that she loved them!
I have to admit that this was my first time ever cooking with tempeh. I feel weird saying that since I cook so many vegetarian meals, but for some reason I’ve never used tempeh before. In case anyone else out there is like me, I should warn you that sometimes tempeh is moldy and that is OK.
My mom assured me that it was perfectly normal because tempeh is a fermented food, but I did check google just to be absolutely sure 🙂
These vegetarian sloppy joes are so easy to make and they even have a delicious homemade BBQ sauce with them! They only take about 30 minutes so they’re great for an easy weeknight meal or a weekend BBQ. They’re also packed with tons of protein from the tempeh and chickpeas, which I think is so important for a vegetarian main meal. I hope you enjoy these as much as my mom and I did!Print
A quick, easy and delicious vegetarian dinner that is packed with protein!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (8 oz) package tempeh, crumbled
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 hamburger buns
- Coleslaw for topping, optional
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add olive oil and onion. Cook onion for 2 minutes and then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in crumbled tempeh and cook until browned, 3-4 minutes.
- Next add in all the remaining ingredients, including the chickpeas, stir until combined and cook until everything is heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Scoop sloppy Joe mixture onto buns and top with coleslaw, if desired.
Nutritional information is for sloppy Joe filling only, it does not include buns or coleslaw.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of sloppy Joe mixture
- Calories: 115
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 137 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 0