These Enchilada Meal Prep Bowls with Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Rice are healthy, delicious and freezer friendly!
Happy Monday! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend 🙂 The weather has been pretty gorgeous here lately and I’ve been trying to get outside as much as I can. We’ve been doing lots of hikes and playground time.
I’ve also been experimenting in the kitchen a lot lately and am really excited to share these Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Rice Enchilada Meal Prep Bowls with you! A while ago I had the idea that I wanted to test out some single serve freezer meals and today I’m sharing my first one with you 🙂
Homemade single serve freezer meals are great for a few reasons: If you’re not a person who likes to eat the same thing every single day for lunch then they’re great because you can store them away for the next week and they won’t go bad. You can freeze them up to 3 months and if you don’t have/want to use glass containers you can freeze them in ziplock bags.
They’re also great because you have a delicious and healthy meal right at your fingertips! You’ve made the meal so you know exactly what’s in it and can control amounts, like sodium. These Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Meal Prep Bowls can be used for lunches or dinners. If you work long hours and don’t have much time to prepare dinner, freezer meals can be life savers!
I’d love to hear from you all whether or not you find single serve freezer meals handy because I really want to do some more! I find them so great to have stashed away for when I need a healthy and filling meal but just don’t have the time to cook it.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I did 🙂Print
These freezer friendly enchilada meal prep bowls are so also healthy and delicious! Gluten free and vegan friendly!
- 1 small head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into bite size pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups black beans
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 2 corn tortillas, chopped up into small pieces
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Optional toppings: avocado, onion, tomato, cilantro, salsa, etc…
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. On a large baking sheet, toss together the cubed butternut squash with the olive oil and spices. Bake butternut squash until for tender, about 40 minutes.
- Make the cauliflower rice while butternut squash is baking. Add the chopped cauliflower to a food processor and blend until it has a rice like texture.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray or about 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. Add cauliflower rice and season with salt and pepper. Cook cauliflower until tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Assemble bowls: you can either assemble them in a freezer friendly glass or plastic container or a freezer friendly ziplock bag. For each bowl add: 3/4 cup cauliflower rice, 1/3 cup roasted butternut squash, 1/2 cup black beans, 1/4 cup enchilada sauce, 1/4th of the chopped tortilla, 2 tablespoons grated cheese.
- You can either refrigerate the bowls or freeze them for up to 3 months.
- When ready to eat: heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or in the oven at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Add desired garnishes before eating.
You may end up with extra cauliflower rice or butternut squash. You can either make an extra bowl or add more to your existing bowls.
If you’re freezing in plastic bags, thaw in the refrigerator or on the counter and then transfer to a microwave/oven safe container before heating.