I would say that this will be the last time that I share a smashed chickpea recipe with you, but that would probably be a big lie! I’m sorry, I just can’t help making smashed chickpea salads. They are filling, take 2 minutes to make and taste awesome with avocados. Win! Win! Win!
Raise your hand if you like summer lunches that take a long time to make and require more than one bowl. I didn’t think any of you liked those things, haha! The first time I made smashed chickpea salad was when I made a Greek version and at it in a sandwich. I honestly couldn’t believe I had never eaten it before. All you do is smash the chickpeas with a potato mashed and add a bunch of seasonings and either some tahini or avocado and it comes together so nicely.
These hot summer days, I always make sure to have a few cans of chickpeas on hand for those days when I’m really unmotivated to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, but I want something filling and delicious 🙂Print
- 1 large avocado, removed from skin and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 (15 ounce) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion, white or red
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- Diced jalapeno, to taste
- 6–8 lettuce cups
- Add the avocado and lime juice to a medium sized bowl and smash with a fork. Next add the remaining ingredients, lettuce cups excluded, and mash again until desired texture is reached. Mix with a spoon to make sure everything is evenly incorporated.
- Fill each lettuce cup with about 2/3 cup of the chickpea mixture, or fill with desired amount.