Sometimes the best recipes are unplanned. I have a big book where I write down all my recipe ideas, some get made right away and some are still sitting there from last summer. When I’m going to cook something for the blog I usually open it up, pick something out, and then it ends up on here a few days later! But, other times I’m hungry, need to eat lunch, and throw together a meal with whatever I have lying around the house.
This salad would be one of those recipes! I usually make some sort of taco salad and although I think it is delicious, it doesn’t end up on the blog because there isn’t much of a recipe involved. And, ironically, one of the reasons I decided to share this recipe with you is because there isn’t much of a recipe involved 🙂
This recipe requires no oven or stove use and can be thrown together in about ten minutes. And if you eat it with some tortilla chips, like I did, it is kinda like a taco salad! To me, it is one of the most perfect summer salads and it is packed with a few of my favorite ingredients that I always make sure to have on hand, chickpeas, kale, avocado, lime and basil.
Can you believe it is almost August?! I hope everyone is staying cool and enjoying the summer 🙂Print
- 1 small bunch kale
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large avocado, pit removed and scooped out from skin
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil
- Pull off the rib of each leaf of kale and chop kale leaves into small pieces. Place chopped kale into a medium sized bowl and drizzle with about 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, juice of half a lime and a small pinch of salt. Massage the kale for a few minutes and let sit.
- Add the chickpeas and avocado to a medium sized bowl and smash with a potato masher. Add the juice of one lime, garlic, salt and basil. Mix until combined.
- Add the chickpea and avocado mixture to the kale and mix. Serve with tortilla chips if desired.