I was gifted a copy of Eat Like You Give A Damn for this post, but all opinions are my own!
I have to admit that I don’t cook from cookbooks very much. I own a few and I like to flip through them for ideas, but I rarely make the exact recipe. I guess I just can’t follow directions very well! But, when I got this copy of Eat Like You Give A Damn – Recipes for the New Ethical Vegan, written by Michelle Schwegmann and Josh Hooten, I wanted to cook every single recipe in the book!
The idea of the book is perfectly explained by the title, Eat Like You Give A Damn. And by that Michelle and Josh mean Eat like you give a damn about your health, the planet, fellow humans, and about yourself. I love that they present veganism more as a lifestyle than just a diet. They share great personal stories to illustrate why they eat and live the way they do, but it is definitely not pushy.
This book is a great resource for people who are considering the vegan lifestyle and need a little extra push or more information to make it sound less intimidating. I love that they give vegan recipe alternatives for most people’s favorite carnivore meals. It is also great for people who have been vegan for years and just want a bunch of delicious recipes at their finger tips! I immediately chose these crushed and crispy potatoes to make for you today because 1) I’m obsessed with potatoes and look for any excuse to eat them and 2) it gave me one more excuse to use my Vegan Jalapeno Ranch!
A few other recipes that I’m so excited to try from this book are:
- Don’t Be Blue Cheese Dressing so I can put it on everything!
- So Faux Feta will be a great addition to my favorite Greek dishes!
- Skillet Taco Pizza because taco pizza is the best pizza ever!
- Spicy Corn Muffins because you can’t have chili without corn muffins!
- 12–15 baby gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Jalapeno ranch dressing for topping, recipe link in post
- Jalapeno slices, if desired
- Fresh parsley leaves, if desired
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees fierenhet. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and toss together the potatoes, oil, salt and pepper. Bake potatoes until browned and crispy on the outside and fork tender, about 35-40 minutes, flipping once.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and carefully smash each one using a potato masher or coffee cup. Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until crispy.
- Top each potato with jalapeno ranch, jalapeno slices and fresh parsley, if desired. Best when enjoyed immediately.