I’m a really big condiment person. I almost cringe every time I see someone eat a salad with no dressing or a sandwich with no glue to hold it together.
I remember once when my husband and I first started dating we went on a hike together. We were packing our lunches and little did I know he was staring over my should with a shocked look on his face as I squeezed half of the bottle of mustard onto my cheese sandwich. I just don’t like dry sandwiches, haha! I’m not quite that crazy with the mustard anymore, but I do still love my condiments.
And, this Easy Cherry Tomato Jam just happens to be one of my absolute favorite summer condiments! I get so excited when I start to see the cherry tomatoes go on sale at the grocery store because they are always great to have on hand. They’re sweet, tomato-y and perfect for snacking. This cherry tomato jam gives you a brand new way to enjoy them though. You can spread this jam on toast, use it as a sauce for a pizza or even put it on your grilled cheese (recipe coming on Wednesday!). It’s really so versatile and great to have on hand so you can add a delicious cherry tomato kick to all of your meals 🙂Print
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil, onion and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, until onion is tender. Next, add in all the remaining ingredients except for the cornstarch. Simmer the tomato mixture, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until tomatoes are softened.
- Turn off the heat and either transfer mixture to a food processor or use an immersion blender to blend up the tomato recipe. You want to leave it slightly chunky, so don’t let it turn to tomato soup!
- Transfer the mixture back to the pot and turn the heat to medium. Add the cornstarch and mix until combined. Cook the mixture for about 5 more minutes, until thickened. Tomato jam will thicken up a little after you let it sit as well.
- You can enjoy this Easy Cherry Tomato Jam on so many things including, toast, pizza, grilled cheese, burgers, etc… Recipe makes about 2 cups
This recipe is NOT meant to be canned. The Cherry Tomato Jam will keep in the refrigerator for about 5 days.