This Easy Roasted Butternut Squash soup is so cozy and flavorful! It’s packed with roasted butternut squash, onions and garlic and is so easy to make!
I’m not really someone who craves soup when it gets cold outside. I’ll eat soup every once in a while but it’s not usually my first choice. But, this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup has changed all of that! It’s thick, creamy and full of sweet butternut squash and delicious roasted garlic!
I’ve been craving it ever since I came up with it and will happily eat this butternut squash soup for lunch or dinner any day of the week! Another great thing about it is that it’s ridiculously easy to make.
What You’ll Need For This Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash – Not all butternut squash are the same size. I used a medium sized butternut squash and once diced it came out to be about 6 cups.
- Garlic – The garlic is so important for this recipe! I used 3 large cloves, which may sound like a lot, but once it’s roasted it gets such a delicious mild flavor.
- Red Onion – You’re welcome to use any color onion you like but I love using red because it has a sweet flavor when roasted and goes well with the butternut squash and garlic.
- Vegetable Stock – It’s important to use a vegetable stock that you enjoy the flavor of. Homemade would be great here.
How To Make Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
This soup is super easy to make, possibly even the easiest soup I’ve ever made!
- You start by preparing the butternut squash. Peel it, cut it in half, vertically, scoop out the seeds and then dice it up. I have a tutorial on how to cut it up here. You then slice up half a red onion and peel three cloves of garlic. You want to keep the garlic whole and the onion sliced thick so that everything takes the same amount of time to cook.
- Next, you toss the butternut squash, onion, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper together on a large baking sheet. You want to make sure nothing is piled on top of each other. If there’s not enough room they will steam instead of roast and the caramelized squash and onion is the key to the flavor in this soup!
- Once everything is roasted and browned you add it to a large soup pot with some vegetable broth, bring it to a boil and then add everything into a blender and blend until smooth. You could also use an immersion blender if you like.
I love my soup to be nice and thick so I only used 3 cups of vegetable broth but if you want it a little more thinned out, you could add some more.
Topping Ideas For Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Crispy Chickpeas
- Fresh Herbs
- Garlic Bread
- Roasted Nuts
This Easy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is so flavorful and cozy!
- 6 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 red onion cut into thick sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 – 3.5 cups vegetable stock
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. On a large Sheetpan, toss together butternut squash, garlic, onion, olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast until butternut squash is tender and caramelized, 45-50 mins.
- Add the roasted squash, garlic and onion to a large pot with the stock. Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes. Pour the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Or use an immersion blender. Pour back into the pot when ready to eat and heat up.
Butternut squash soup can be refrigerated for up to 5 days and frozen for up to 3 months.