These Easy Vegan Black Bean Burgers only require a few ingredients but they’re packed with flavor and hold together so well! You can even grill them!
*This post was originally published on 12/16/14. I have updated it with new photos and text.
Summer is coming to an end but that doesn’t mean that veggie burger season is over! These Easy Vegan Black Bean Burgers are so good we make them all year round! You only need a few simple ingredients but they’re packed with so much flavor and they hold together really nicely.
It can be tough to get a homemade veggie burger to have good texture. Some are too soft and some are too crumbly. I feel that these vegan black bean burgers are perfectly soft but also hold they’re shape. And, they’ve been approved by both vegans and meat eaters!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THESE VEGAN BLACK BEAN BURGERS
- Quinoa – I use cooked quinoa in my burgers because I like the taste and texture and it’s really quick and easy to make. You could, however, use your favorite cooked grain.
- Black Beans – I just use one can of black beans and it’s super easy! If using homemade, use 1 1/2 cups.
- Salsa – I use chunky salsa because it adds flavor, makes them nice and moist and it’s an easy shortcut to adding a few veggies in there without having to cook them!
- Breadcrumbs – I used Panko bread crumbs but any kind would work, even gluten free.
- Spices – The spices help give these burgers so much great flavor. I use cumin, paprika, smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. The smoked paprika gives them a really nice off the grill flavor.
HOW TO MAKE THESE VEGGIE BURGERS
As the name states, these are really easy to make! There’s just a few steps:
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until mixture sticks together but is not completely pureed.
- Form the mixture into patties (4-6) and cook them in a skillet with a little olive oil.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
FREQUENTLY ASKED VEGGIE BURGER QUESTIONS
- Can you grill them? Yes! If grilling, I would recommend forming them into patties and then chilling them in the refrigerator for an hour or so to ensure they hold together well on the grill.
- Can I use rice instead of quinoa? You can! Any cooked grain would work well.
- Mine are falling apart, what did I do wrong? If you followed the recipe exactly and they’re still falling apart, I would try adding in a little more salsa and breadcrumbs and chilling the mixture for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Can I add extra veggies to my black bean burgers? Yes! Just watch the texture and add extra breadcrumbs or salsa if needed.
- Can I use a bean other than black beans? Yes! Any kind of bean would work in these burgers.
- What should I top them with? I like to go southwest with my toppings since the burgers have a southwest flavor to them, but anything that you like is good! I like: lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, jalapeños, ketchup, mustard, cheese, etc…
WATCH MY VIDEO BELOW TO SEE EXACTLY HOW I MAKE THEM