This Vegetarian Egg Roll In A Bowl Recipe is SO easy to make, low in carbs and great for meal prep!
This Vegetarian Egg Roll In A Bowl has been my go-to dinner these days! It’s easy to make, full of flavor and super healthy. Asian food is a favorite around here and I have a soft spot for egg rolls so I love that egg roll in a bowl is a healthier alternative that gives you all your favorite egg roll flavors.
I feel bad posting yet another tofu recipe, but if you’re sick of tofu (like my husband is haha) you could always sub chickpeas or tempeh instead. I just love how versatile tofu is and it’s a great vegetarian alternative in Asian recipes.
WHAT IS EGG ROLL IN A BOWL?
Basically, it’s egg roll filling in a bowl without the egg roll wrapper. I’ve tried my hand at homemade egg rolls before and they didn’t look so pretty so this vegetarian egg roll in a bowl recipe is right up my alley! I love that it becomes a full meal rather than just an appetizer or side dish. And, if you think you’ll miss the crispy egg roll wrapper too much, I love adding salted cashews or crispy wonton strips to the top for some texture. I also love that egg roll in a bowl if a lower carb dish but still full of protein and flavor.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THIS EGG ROLL IN A BOWL RECIPE
- Tofu – You’ll need to use extra firm tofu for this recipe. I always like to use the super firm, high protein tofu that is pre-pressed. I find mine at either Sprouts or Trader Joe’s. If your tofu isn’t pre-pressed, I would suggest pressing it for at least 15 minutes before cooking.
- Cabbage and Carrots – I used green cabbage and carrots that I shredded myself but you could also use a bag of coleslaw mix. You could also just dice the carrots up rather than shredding them. Purple cabbage would work well too.
- Garlic and Ginger – I always like to use fresh garlic and fresh ginger. You can buy pre-minced jars of both garlic and ginger but I never feel like they have the same taste. You could also sub dried spices if you’re not able to find the fresh stuff.
- Green Onion – I like the addition of the green onion because it adds a nice freshness and onion flavor bite.
- Sesame Oil – I like to use sesame oil to cook my tofu and veggies in because it has a nice Asian food flavor. If you don’t have sesame oil you can just use your favorite kind of oil.
RECIPE TIPS FOR VEGETARIAN EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
- Go crazy with the vegetables if you want! I just used green cabbage and carrot because those are traditional egg roll fillings, but you could add any other veggies you like: purple cabbage, onion, mushroom, bell pepper, eggplant, broccoli, cauliflower, etc…
- If you don’t have/like tofu, you could use tempeh, chickpeas or scrambled eggs instead. Or even in addition to the tofu.
- More toppings = more flavor! A few suggestions for toppings are: fresh lime, roasted cashews, wonton strips, sriracha sauce, cilantro leaves.
This Egg Roll In A Bowl recipe is also great for meal prep! Just portion it out into glass containers and heat up before enjoying!Print