I hope everyone had a great Easter! And I also hope that everyone is finally getting some of that perfect spring weather. It has been so nice here lately that being inside all day at work seems like such a waste. I just wanna be sitting outside in the sunshine with the flowers and the birds! With a cold glass of white wine and a big platter of these little spring toasts, of course.
I love making toasts, or crostini, because you can pretty much put anything you want on them and they not only look pretty, but they usually taste pretty dang good and are so easy to make! For these Fresh Spring Toasts with Hummus I decided to layer on all of my favorite spring vegetables; asparagus, watercress, and radishes. And, of course I added a little of my favorite herb, dill, to the mix. Dill just makes everything taste so much more fresh and delicious.
I dressed the vegetables with a simple mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Simple is always better when your main goal is to celebrate the freshness of the vegetables. Hummus acts as the glue that holds everything together on these toasts. And now I’m wishing that hummus really did come in a glue shaped bottle that I could just squirt it right into my mouth 🙂 I made my own hummus for these, but you could also use store-bought. One of my fears is that I will be craving hummus and we won’t have any, so I always make sure to have a huge supply of garbanzo beans in the house!
- 1 small bunch of asparagus, about 25
- 4 large radishes
- 1 1/2 cup packed watercress leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, roasted and salted
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups hummus
- 6–8 slices of toasted bread
- Cut the ends off the asparagus and then cut into 1 inch pieces. Thinly slice the radishes, either using a sharp knife or mandolin. In a large bowl, add the asparagus, radishes, watercress leaves, dill, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Spread 1-2 tablespoons of hummus onto each slice of toast and then pile a few tablespoons of the vegetable mixture on top. Then sprinkle chopped almonds over each toast.