It’s my birthday! Well, not actually until Tuesday, but I think it is ok to celebrate all week, right?! Especially when your birthday falls on a weekday. When this happens you should probably make a huge chocolate cake and eat yourself into a chocolate cake frenzy all week long! In celebration of my birthday, not only do a I have a delicious chocolate cake recipe for you, but I also have a fun giveaway! I thought it would be neat to make some re-usable grocery bags with the She Likes Food logo and a photo on them and I’m going to give one away to one of you lucky readers! See bottom of post for details 🙂 Now, onto this chocolate cake! My mom used to make a homemade cake for me every birthday growing up and they were delicious! I was always so impressed by them and she would even decorate them with pretty flowers! Thank you, Mom! Every since I went gluten free I haven’t had a decent homemade birthday cake. I honestly can’t even remember the last time I ate cake, which is so sad because cake is one of my favorites! And everyone should have a proper cake on their birthday. I adapted this chocolate cake recipe from an ice cream filled chocolate cupcake recipe I made for Gluten Free Living Magazine a few months ago and they were so good! I always used to say I was more of a vanilla cake person than chocolate, but over the past few years I’ve embraced chocolate and I don’t think I’m ever going back! This three layer chocolate cake might not be quite as healthy as the recipes I normally post, but I think we all get a free pass on our birthdays! Giveaway Details:
- Winner has been notified, thank you so much for participating!!
- 2 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill gluten free 1:1 baking flour*
- 1 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk or regular milk
- 1 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yougurt
- 2 cups chocolate frosting – see link below for the one I used
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powered, salt, baking soda and baking powder. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Add the eggs one at a time and then add the vanilla and mix again. Finally add the milk and mix one last time. The wet mixture might look a little strange at this point, but that is ok!
- Add the flour mixture and the Greek yogurt to the wet mixture, one half at a time alternating between the two, starting with the flour. Give the batter one last mix until everything is combined.
- Grease three 8 inch cake pans and equally distribute the batter into the pans. Bake cakes for about 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool inside the pan for ten minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Once the cakes are cooled, transfer to a plate or cake stand and stack the cakes on top of eachother, frosting in between each one. Frost the top and sides of the cake, smoothing out with a knife if necessary.
*I have only made this recipe using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1:1 Baking flour, I’m not sure if it would turn out the same using a different gluten free flour.
I used this chocolate frosting recipe, but you can use any recipe or store-bought frosting you like. You will need about 2 cups depending on how much frosting you like to use.