This Green Rice with Black Beans and Sweet Potato is packed with fresh herbs and perfect for a delicious summer side dish! Put it in tacos or take it to a potluck!
I’m not sure if it’s the same where you live, but we are in the full swing of summer right now. It’s been over 100 degrees this entire week and I’m already so over summer. This time of year in Arizona the only place you want to be is in the pool but you don’t even want to go outside to get to the pool, haha 🙂
But, I do happen to love summer side dishes and this Green Rice with Black Beans and Sweet Potato is one of my favorites. It’s packed with tons of fresh herbs which makes it tastes so fresh and delicious!
Another thing I love about summer that goes hand in hand with side dishes is potlucks! I love to cook so I get excited anytime I can go to a party and bring one of my own dishes. I don’t have as many dietary restrictions as I used to have, but I still enjoy bringing a side dish that can be filling enough to eat if it’s the only thing I’m able to eat.
That is why I’ve packed this green rice with black beans and sweet potato. It makes it a little more filling and the black beans add some protein, which is a plus. This green rice would also be great stuffed into some tacos or for dipping chips in.
I hope that most of you are more fortunate than me and are still enjoying some nice spring weather! Growing up, summer was always my favorite seasons because it meant no school, lots of swimming and my birthday! My husband and son also both have summer birthdays which is fun, but I just wish it would cool down a little bit! Please send your spring weather my way! 🙂Print
This Green Rice with Black Beans and Sweet Potato is packed with tons of delicious fresh herbs and is great for a healthy summer side dish!
- 1 cup rice, uncooked (white or brown)
- 2 cups small diced sweet potato, about 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- Diced jalapeno, to taste (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
- 1 cup lightly packed parsley leaves
- Juice of 2 large limes
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Cook rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Add diced sweet potato to a large baking sheet and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake until fork tender, 30-35 minutes.
- Add the spinach, cilantro, parsley, lime juice, garlic and a pinch of salt to a blender or food processor and blend until you have a very chopped up consistency.
- To a large bowl add the rice, sweet potato, black beans, red pepper, jalapeño and chopped herb mixture. Mix until combined and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Green rice can be eaten immediately or stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.