This Kale Salad with Sweet Potato and Lentils is so hearty and filling! It’s perfect for lunch or to make as a potluck side dish! It’s delicious topped off with a Maple Mustard Dressing!
Good morning! So, I meant to take some time off after the baby came, but really wasn’t planning on being completely absent for so long. I actually have a bunch of posts lined up to share with you during my maternity leave but have been in the hospital the past two weeks with my newborn. We’re finally out now and I’m excited to share this Kale Salad with Sweet Potato and Lentils with you!
About two weeks ago my newborn, Sawyer, didn’t seem like himself. He was fussy all day, bloated and seemed really uncomfortable. For most of the day I just figured it was regular baby stuff but right before I was going to put him to bed I just felt like I should take him in.
I ended up taking him into the ER around 10PM and it turned out he also had a fever, which I hadn’t known, and they transferred us to the children’s hospital in Albuquerque NM by ambulance around 2AM. After doing quite a few tests, including a spinal tap, they diagnosed him with a urinary tract infection that had spread to his kidneys and blood.
That required him to be on IV antibiotics for 10 days. We were an hour away from home so it wasn’t quite as easy for my husband and toddler to just drop by which was really hard for me. I had to be away from him for a few days after giving birth and was hoping that wouldn’t happen again, especially so soon. These last few weeks have been really hard, but we’re finally home!
Since we’ve been home I’ve had a lot of anxiety regarding Sawyer’s health. Every little thing he does that seems a little strange has me wanting to take him to the doctor or emergency room. I’m hoping as time goes by I’ll start feeling better though.
Recipe tips for Kale Salad with Sweet Potato and Lentils:
- If you don’t have lentils, or don’t like lentils, you could substitute your favorite bean instead.
- This salad is great for meal prep! Just portion it out into glass containers and don’t dress the salad until you’re ready to enjoy.
- Salad keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- If you don’t like kale you can use your favorite greens instead.
Kale Salad with Sweet Potato and Lentils
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 1x
This Kale Salad with Sweet Potato and Lentils is so hearty and delicious! It’s perfect for a healthy lunch or potluck salad!
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 1 large sweet potato, or two medium sized sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 large bunch of curly kale, washed and chopped into bite size pieces (6–8 cups)
- 1/2 diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Maple Mustard Dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook lentils according to package directions. Keep covered and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. On a large sheet pan toss together diced sweet potato, about 2 teaspoons olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast sweet potatoes until fork tender, 35-40 mins.
- Add chopped kale to a large bowl and drizzle with 1-2 teaspoons olive oil and a pinch of salt. Use your hands to massage the kale for 30 seconds – 1 minute. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a jar or small bowl and whisk until combined. Pour desired amount of dressing over salad and mix until combined. You can either serve immediately or refrigerate for 2-3 days.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Salad, Vegan, Gluten Free
- Method: Stovetop, Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Kale Salad with Sweet Potato and Lentils
So glad to hear your babe is doing better and that you guys are back home. My first son had a UTI at 2.5 months old- no fun at all 🙁
Hang in there mama!
She Likes Food says
Thank you so much! I’m so sorry you had to go through it too, it’s so scary when anything is wrong at that age. <3
Sending good wishes and healing energy for you and your little one.
She Likes Food says
Thank you so much!!