This Rainbow Fruit Salad is packed with tons of healthy fruit that your kids will love! It’s great for breakfast, snacks and even dessert! I love having it on hand all week for a healthy option.
Let’s talk fruit salad! Specifically, this healthy and delicious Rainbow Fruit Salad. Do your kids like fruit? My kids aren’t alway into vegetables, but they gobble up fruit like it’s candy. Fruit Salad is great for adding to breakfast, eating as a healthy snack throughout the day or even enjoying for dessert with a dollop of whipped cream!
You certainly can just use whatever fruit you have on hand to make fruit salad, but I thought it would be fun to make a rainbow fruit salad. It’s pretty and it makes my kids even more excited to eat it!
Rainbow Fruit Salad Recipe Ingredients
It’s a Rainbow Fruit Salad so I wanted to use lots of different colored fruit. I used:
- Strawberries, mini oranges, pineapple, kiwi, blueberries and red grapes.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice helps keep the fruit fresh and makes for a nice sauce for the fruit.
- Pure Maple Syrup – Maple syrup adds some extra sweetener and combined with the lemon juice creates the sauce.
Here are a few other suggestions for different colors:
- Red – Strawberries, raspberries, red apple, cherries, pomegranate, watermelon
- Orange – Mini oranges, tangerine, navel oranges, mango, peache, apricot, persimmon
- Yellow – Pineapple, banana, grapefruit, yellow pear, yellow apple
- Green – Kiwi, green grapes, pears
- Blue – Blueberries, Concord grapes, plums
- Indigo/Violet – Red grapes, blackberries, figs
Tips For Making The Best Fruit Salad Recipe
Fruit salad certainly isn’t hard to make, but here are a few tips for making it delicious!
- Cut all fruit into similar sizes. It’s nice when everything is about the same size, this way you don’t have a bunch of large pieces outnumbering the smaller ones. Obviously blueberries and grapes are only so big, so just make sure what your cutting is similar in size.
- Use similar amounts of each fruit. You want your fruit salad to have equal amounts of each fruit so there isn’t a ton of one kind and not many of another. It will be prettier this way too!
- Make sure your fruit is ripe, but not too ripe. You don’t want unripe, sour fruit in the mix but you also don’t want fruit that is just on the verge of going bad because it won’t last as long as the other fruit in the salad.
- Unless you’re eating all of the fruit salad immediately, try to avoid fruit that doesn’t hold up well over time after it’s been cut. Bananas aren’t the best choice when making a fruit salad ahead of time because they turn brown and mushy easily. Apples also brown easily but can be ok if you add some lime or lemon juice to the fruit.
How to serve your fruit salad
I usually just like to enjoy a big bowl of fruit salad with a fork 🙂 , but here are a few other ways you can use your fruit salad:
- Enjoy on top of yogurt, granola, cereal or oatmeal.
- Topping desserts with, like cake, cupcakes, muffins, breads and tart.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkles to make it fun for kids!
- Enjoy over ice cream.
- Add to the top of a slice of pound cake and whipped cream.
Looking For More Fruit Filled Recipes?
Kid Friendly Green Smoothie Recipe
Frozen Chocolate Covered Strawberry Banana BitesPrint
Rainbow Fruit Salad Recipe
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This Rainbow Fruit Salad Recipe is packed with tons of healthy fruits and tossed in a light citrus dressing!
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 2 cups mini orange slices, I used cuties
- 2 cups diced pineapple
- 2 cups peeled and diced kiwi
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups red grapes, I sliced mine in half
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, or honey
- Optional toppings or mix ins: whipped cream, coconut whipped cream, sprinkles, apple juice
- Add the lemon juice and maple syrup to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add all the fruit to the bowl and mix until combined and all the fruit is coated with the syrup. If desired you can mix in some extra sweetener or top with whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Category: Snack, Vegan
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Rainbow Fruit Salad
Leave a Reply