Happy 2015!!! Kinda hard to believe 2014 is actually over already. 2014 was a great year though and I have even higher hopes for 2015. So, now that it is the new year it is time to put those cookies away and break out the kale!
Ok, maybe you don’t have to put all of the cookies away, but you should totally break that kale out. I’m actually kinda relieved that the holidays are over because healthy foods, like this salad, are much more in my wheelhouse than holiday foods like cookies and cakes. Don’t get me wrong, I do still like to eat them, but when it comes to cooking I’m much more likely to whip up a salad than a sweet treat.
I have a lot in common with this kale salad. Just as I need a good massage to loosen up and get rid of some of my bitterness, this kale needs to be massaged as well. I think a lot of people don’t like kale because they haven’t had it prepared correctly. Kale can be really tough and a little bit bitter if you don’t give it a little love. You can easily get a nice taste and texture when you saute or roast it, but if you want a fresh kale salad it is important that you get your hands in there and do a little massaging. It works best when you add the dressing to the salad first because that helps break it down and loosen it up a little.
If you are looking for some healthier eats in the new year, this Refreshing Kale Salad with Apples is a perfect way to start things out. I want to wish everyone a really great 2015!
In other news, I finally got an Instagram account! Follow me on Instagram to make sure you don’t miss any yummy food photos or cute Cheeto pics!!
- 1 bunch purple or regular kale, torn into small pieces, about 8 cups
- 1 red apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan shards
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
Apple Cider and Maple Dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all of the dressing ingredients into a medium sized bowl and whisk until combined.
- Place the kale into a large bowl and pour dressing over. Using your hands, gently massage the kale and dressing until the kale softens a little bit, 1-2 mintues.
- Add the sliced apples, Parmesan shards, and toasted walnuts and mix until combined.