This Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Black Beans is perfect for dipping chips into or enjoying onto of a big bowl of greens! It’s so flavorful and healthy!
March is always an interesting month. In some parts of the country spring is in full swing and the temperatures are in the 70s and 80s and then in other parts of the country people are freezing cold and still getting tons of snow. This Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Black Beans is perfect for both types of weather!
It’s packed with cozy roasted butternut squash so it’s hearty enough if you have two feet of snow in your front yard but it’s also great as a cold salad if you want something a little lighter.
This Roasted Butternut Squash Salad is also really versatile. You can eat it as a side dish, dip for chips or top it onto a bed of greens for a filling salad. I personally love to dip chips into it because it has some other nice Mexican style ingredients and flavors.
Roasted vegetables are one of my favorite things to prepare this time of year. I have an entire post on exactly How To Roast Butternut Squash, so if you aren’t familiar make sure to check it out! If you can’t find butternut squash, or don’t like it, you can substitute sweet potato instead.
This Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Black Beans also works great for a make ahead recipe. It’s delicious both warm and cold so you can keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If making ahead, I would just suggest leaving out the avocado until ready to serve.
Recipe tips for Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Black Beans:
- You can easily sub sweet potato for the butternut squash if you like.
- Salad can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Just make sure to leave out the avocado until ready to serve.
- Check out my post on exactly how to roast butternut squash if you aren’t familiar.
- Feel free to alter the ingredient amounts if you prefer more or less of any of them.
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Black Beans
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
This Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Black Beans is full of flavor and perfect for eating with chips or topping your greens with!
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and diced (see this post for how to roast butternut squash)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans (or 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 handful cilantro leaves, chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 large lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. On a large sheet pan toss together butternut squash cubes, 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Roast butternut squash until fork tender and starting to caramelize, 40-50 minutes.
- Add butternut squash to a large bowl along with all the remaining ingredients and mix until combined. Enjoy salad immediately or refrigerate up to 3 days.
- I like to eat this salad either with chips or on top of a big bowl of greens!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Salad, Vegan, Gluten Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
Keywords: Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Black Beans
Leave a Reply