This Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup is SO easy to make! It’s warm, cozy, full of flavor and only contains 4 Freestyle Weight Watchers points for the entire recipe!
I love winter. I really do. Buttttt, I’m a little sick of it come February. I want warm weather so the boys can play outside all day and I want not to have to bundle them up in a million layers before going out. So, this Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup is my compromise between winter and summer 🙂
It’s warm and cozy and exactly what you’d want to eat when it’s cold outside, but it also has the fresh flavors of summer in it, like tomatoes and basil. I realize these ingredients aren’t in season right now, but the roasting of the tomatoes brings out the sweetness and makes them so good!
What You’ll Need For This Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe
- Tomatoes – I used Roma tomatoes, mainly because they’re the cheapest of tomatoes! They don’t have quite as much sweet flavor as the other varieties but the roasting brings out the sweetness and they’re economical. You could also use a few different varieties if you like. Sometimes I like to throw some cherry tomatoes in with the Romas.
- Garlic – I love the taste of roasted garlic so I like to throw a few garlic cloves in with the tomatoes for roasting. You will need whole garlic cloves.
- Basil – You will need a small handful of fresh basil leaves. I blend them in at the end and it gives such a nice fresh flavor to the tomato soup.
- Plain Yogurt – I use plain, non-fat Greek yogurt to make the roasted tomato soup extra creamy without adding any fat. You could also use a plain, non-dairy yogurt to make vegan.
- Vinegar – I add just a small splash of apple cider vinegar at the end. You could really use any kind of vinegar you have on hand.
How To Make Tomato Soup
This soup is SO easy to make!! There’s only a few steps:
- Wash your tomatoes and slice them in half, lengthwise. Toss tomatoes and garlic with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them until they’re soft and caramelized.
- Add tomatoes to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add in basil, greek yogurt, salt, vinegar and water and blend again until super smooth and creamy! Those are the only steps!
I’ve never really been a fan of canned tomato soup but this homemade roasted tomato soup is a whole different ball game! You might not expect such great flavor when there are just a few ingredients but the roasting of the tomatoes and garlic really make it pack a punch! And, you can’t go wrong with adding basil 🙂
Are you sick of winter or are you dreading the heat of the summer? Either way, I think you’ll love this super easy Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe!Print
This Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup is SO easy to make and full of flavor!
- 18–20 roma tomatoes
- 3 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup plain, non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 small handful fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup water, or vegetable stock
- 1 small splash apple cider vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut Roma tomatoes in half, lengthwise, and place on a large sheet pan with the garlic cloves. Drizzle on olive oil and sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt and the black pepper. Toss everything together and make sure all the tomatoes are coated with oil. Bake until tomatoes are soft and caramelized and garlic is fork tender, about an hour, stirring once.
- Add tomatoes and garlic to a blender and blend until smooth. Next, add the greek yogurt, basil, water, 1/4 teaspoon salt and splash of vinegar to the blender and blend again until smooth, about 1 minute or longer if needed.
- Pour the soup into a medium sized pot to warm, if needed.
If you like your soup to be on the thin side, just add more water. If you want your soup even thicker and creamier, add more yogurt.
Entire soup recipe has 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle points.