This Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad is refreshing, healthy and filling! It’s perfect as a fresh veggie side dish that can be enjoyed all year long.
I’m embarrassed to admit that I originally made and photographed this Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad recipe for Thanksgiving of 2020. For some reason I never got around to posting it then, so I’m sharing it with you today! I think it would be just as great as a summer potluck side dish as a holiday side dish.
The thought of eating raw Brussels sprouts might turn some people off. But I promise that if you shave them thinly and toss with a flavorful dressing, they are so tasty! I also like to add a few extra goodies to make an exciting salad.
SHAVED BRUSSELS SPROUT SALAD INGREDIENTS
- Brussels Sprouts – You can buy whole Brussels sprouts and shave them on a mandolin or thinly slice them with a sharp knife. Or, you can usually find packaged shaved Brussels sprouts which will save you some work!
- Chickpeas – I just use canned chickpeas but you could also make your own.
- Dried Cranberries – I love the sweetness that the dried cranberries add and they’re great because you can find them all year round. They also add a nice chewy texture.
- Red Onion – I almost always add raw red onion to my salads because I love the crunch and the flavor it adds.
- Green Apple – Green apples and Brussels sprouts go together really well and I love adding fruits to savory salads.
- Walnuts – Walnuts are kinda like the croutons to the salad but they’re much healthier! I love walnuts because they have a nice buttery texture but you could also use almonds.
- Dressing – The dressing is an oil and apple cider vinegar based dressing. It has the perfect tang to it and compliments all the ingredients nicely!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BRUSSELS SPROUTS
Brussels sprouts are members of the Brassicaceae (mustard) family which makes them closely related to broccoli, cauliflower, kale and mustard greens. They’re cruciferous vegetables and they contain high levels of nutrients. Here are just a few health benefits of Brussels sprouts:
- Brussels sprouts are low in calories but very high in vitamin K, which is important for blood clotting, and Vitamin C.
- They are rich in antioxidants, which help lower the body’s risk of disease. They are especially high in an antioxidant called kaempferol, which has been shown to reduce cancer cell grown and improve heart health.
- They are high in fiber, which promotes digestive health and can relieve constipation. Just 1/2 cup of Brussels sprout contains 8% of your daily fiber intake.
- Brussels Sprouts contain ALA Omega-3 Fatty Acids, in fact they’re once of the best plant sources for them. They can help reduce inflammation, insulin resistance and cognitive decline.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How long does this shaved Brussels sprout salad keep in the refrigerator? About 4 days.
- Can I make this salad ahead of time? Yes, but if you want to make it more than a day ahead of time I would suggest not dressing the salad until you’re ready to serve it.
- Can I leave out some of the oil in the dressing? Sure! You may want to add a little water in to dilute the vinegar though.
Have a questions I didn’t answer? Leave it in the comments and I’ll get back to you with an answer ASAP!
LOOKING FOR MORE VEGETABLE SIDE DISHES?
Crunchy Broccoli Salad with Maple Mustard DressingPrint
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This fresh and crunchy shaved Brussels sprout salad is healthy and perfect for a veggie side dish!
- 1.5–2 lbs brussels sprouts
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium sized green apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash the Brussels sprouts and cut off the little stem. Peel away any leaves that are brown or not appetizing. Shred the Brussels sprouts: you can either cut them thinly with a sharp knife or shred them on a mandolin or in the food processor.
- Add the shredded Brussels sprouts to a large bowl and add in all the remaining salad ingredients.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until combined. Pour the dressing over the salad, you may not need to use all of it, and then mix until everything is combined. Serve salad immediately or refrigerate up to 3-4 days.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Category: Salad, Vegan
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad
Marie Bare says
Healthy and delicious! Left out the red onion, not a fan!
Fills me up and I like that it has some protein and healthy fat.
She Likes Food says
Yah! So glad you enjoyed it!
I loooooooooooooooove this salade. Put recipe into my permanent book!
She Likes Food says
That’s so nice to hear!!