- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,minced
- 3 cups peeled and diced sweet potato, 1/4 inch diced
- 3 cups cooked black beans, or 2 –15 oz cans drained
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3–4 cups vegetable stock, depending on how thick you want your soup
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, a pinch of salt and stir for 3 minutes. Then add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add sweet potato, black beans, and all the spices. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add stock, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Using a cup or soup ladle, scoop out 2 cups of the sweet potato and black beans and set aside. Let soup cool and then using an immersion blender, blender, or food processor blend the remaining soup together. Turn the heat back on and add back in the reserved sweet potato and black beans. Heat soup, stirring occasionally, until hot.
- Serve with your favorite garnishes: cilantro, red onion, avocado, tortilla strips, salsa etc…