I have no idea when or why it started, but my husband and I have this running joke where he asks me what is for dinner and I say, “tofu scramble”. He then makes a face and says something like, “ew” or “gross”. But, up until I made these Southwest Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos, I’m pretty sure he had never once tasted a tofu scramble before.
I feel like tofu in general gets a bad rap and the idea of a tofu scramble might even have a worse one for some people. I grew up eating tofu so I’ve always loved it, but I do know that it has to be prepared and seasoned correctly in order for it to be enjoyable. And, trust me, this Southwest Tofu Scramble is packed with tons of delicious flavor!
I didn’t end up making my husband eat this for dinner, but I did serve it to him for breakfast and these were his words after he ate it, “So, that was tofu and not eggs?”. He might not be the most observant person, but I definitely took that as a compliment, haha! And, he ate these tacos for breakfast all week long. These breakfast tacos are a great way to add some extra protein and flavor to your day!Print
- 3 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 (14 ounce) block extra firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
- Corn tortillas for serving
- Optional garnishes: sliced scallion, salsa, cilantro
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon olive oil, the diced veggies and a pinch of salt. Cook veggies for about 5 minutes, until tender.
- Next, push the veggies to the side of the pan and add 2 more teaspoons olive oil. Crumble the block of tofu into the pan, using your hands, and add all of the spices. Stir everything together and cook until tofu is starting to brown, 10-15 minutes. Finally, add the beans, stir and cook for 2 more minutes, until beans are heated through.
- Serve tofu scramble by itself or in a breakfast taco. Top with green onions, salsa or cilantro, if desired.