This Sweet Potato & Black Bean Vegetarian Meatball Enchilada Bake is ultimate comfort food!
I meant to get this post up yesterday but instead I went to bed early and it was totally worth it, haha! My sleep is very precious to me and although Eli has gotten really good at sleeping through the night (most nights), I still feel like I’m always tired.
I feel like I’m always either chasing after Eli, working on the blog or cleaning the house. Somedays it seem like all I do is clean!
At least working on the blog usually means cooking, so dinner is easy. This Sweet Potato & Black Bean Vegetarian Meatball Enchilada Bake is one of my new favorite dinners! (I made this recipe before I started Weight Watchers, so I’m not sure of the point value).
I adapted it from one of my favorite veggie burger recipes and turned it into a Mexican style dish with enchilada sauce and melty cheese. And, it’s SO good! There’s tons of spices that make it really flavorful and it’s great for a make ahead meal too.
If you’re looking to make more of a meal out of this dish, they go perfectly topped on a bed of cauliflower rice. I just tossed mine with a little salt, pepper and lime juice, but you could make it anyway you like.
Sweet potato and black bean vegetarian meatballs baked in enchilada sauce with cheese!
- 2 cups peeled and diced sweet potato, about one large sweet potato
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, I like to use an 8.8 oz package pre-cooked rice to make it easier
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons water, let sit for 3 minutes)
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, gluten free if necessary
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground onion
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Optional toppings: cilantro, red onion, avocado
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. On a large sheet pan, toss together the diced sweet potatoes, 1 teaspoon olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast sweet potatoes until fork tender, about 35 minutes.
- Add roasted sweet potatoes, black beans and brown rice to a food processor and blend until kind of smooth but still a little chunky.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add the flax egg, bread crumbs, cilantro and all the spices. Use your hands to mix until everything is combined. Use a tablespoon scoop to scoop the meatballs and roll them into balls.
- Raise oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Heat a large oven safe skillet over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon olive oil and add meatballs. Cook meatballs until warmed through and browned, about 10 minutes, flipping occasionally.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over the meatballs and top with cheese. Place skillet back into the 400 degree F oven and bake until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with your favorite garnish and enjoy!
If you want you can serve it over cauliflower rice to make it more of a meal.