These Vegan Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies are so good they’re hard to stay away from! They’re perfectly spiced and so soft!
Happy Monday! Since we’re in the thick of the holiday season and everyone seems to love cookies this time of year, I decided to make this week COOKIE WEEK on She Likes Food! I have three delicious (and vegan) cookie recipes to share with you this week, starting with my favorite: Vegan Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies!
I’ve always loved Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies but this is actually the first year I’ve ever attempted to make my own. And it turns out they’re super easy! The only hard part is not allowing yourself to eat the entire batch in one sitting 🙂
When you first take them out of the oven the tops will be slightly hard but once they’ve sat in a container for a few hours, they’re perfectly soft all around! They kind of melt in your mouth 🙂 They’re also perfectly spiced and really make you think of the holidays when you eat them.
In my mind, soft and chewy molasses cookies are the quintessential Christmas cookies!
If you love cookies as much as I do, make sure to stay tuned this week for two more delicious cookie recipes! On Wednesday I am posting my Perfect Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies and on Friday I will share my Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Cranberries and Chocolate Chunks!
Recipe tips for Vegan Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies:
- Different brands of molasses will make them lighter/darker and possibly stronger tasting. I used Grandma’s Original Molasses for this batch and really loved how they turned out.
- You don’t necessarily need to chill the batter but I would suggest chilling for a few minutes if it seems sticky.
- You can use regular butter and an egg instead of vegan butter and a flax egg.
- If you don’t want to use regular sugar you can skip the rolling in sugar part.
These Vegan Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies are perfect for the holidays!
- 2 cups all purpose flour, gluten free would probably work too
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/3 cup Grandma’s Original Molasses
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons water, let sit for 2 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cane sugar or granulated sugar for rolling
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl all all the flour, spices and salt and mix until combined.
- In a large bowl add the sugar, butter, molasses, egg and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer until creamed. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat again until everything is combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least 10 minutes, can also be refrigerated up to 2 days before using.
- Line a baking sheet with a non-stick mat or parchment paper and use a tablespoon scoop to scoop out the dough. Roll dough into a ball and roll in sugar, then place on the baking sheet. Bake cookies until top is set but cookies are still soft, 7-10 minutes. Remove cookies from the oven, let cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- The tops of the cookies will be a little bit hard at first, but if you store them in an airtight container on the countertop they will soften up perfectly! Cookies can be stored for 4-5 days in an airtight container and frozen up to 3 months.
*This post contains affiliate links, thank you so much for supporting She Likes Food!