These really are The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies! They’re loaded with tons of chocolate chips and topped with some flaky sea salt making them totally irresistable!
Hello! Today I’m sharing my second cookie recipe with you for COOKIE WEEK! In case you missed it, on Monday I posted these delicious Vegan Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies and I can’t top eating them this holiday season! Today I’m sharing my version of The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe and I think you are going to like them!
I took a poll on Instagram a few weeks ago asking, when it came to the best vegan chocolate chip cookies what was more important, taste or healthy ingredients. While a few people said healthy ingredients, most people said taste 🙂
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
- All Purpose Flour – I just use regular all purpose flour for this recipe because I wanted them to taste like classic chocolate chip cookies. I haven’t used gluten free flour myself but I’m sure an all purpose gluten free flour blend with xantham gum would work too.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda – I used to use just baking soda in my chocolate chip cookie recipe but recently added just 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder and I feel like it helps make them nice and thick. I always prefer to use aluminum free baking soda.
- Salt – I just add 1/4 teaspoon salt to the recipe but I also like to top the freshly baked cookies with a pinch of coarse sea salt. Totally optional though!
- Vegan Butter – I’ve made these cookies with Earth Balance vegan butter as well as the new Country Crock plant based butter and both work great!
- Brown Sugar – I like to use light brown sugar to keep the cookies a lighter color but dark brown sugar would work as well.
- Granulated Sugar – I’ve made these cookies with both regular granulated sugar and white cane sugar. Both work great!
- Vegan Egg Substitute – I like to use ground golden flaxseed because it is mild in flavor and helps keep the cookies a lighter color. Most vegan egg substitutes should work though!
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla extract adds a nice flavor that compliments the chocolate flavor in the cookies.
- Chocolate Chips – You want to use vegan chocolate chips. I like to use Enjoy Life Foods vegan dark chocolate morsels, but their chocolate chunks or even mini chocolate chips will work too.
How To Make The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
These chocolate chip cookies are really easy to make! There’s only a few steps:
- Prepare your vegan egg and set aside until ready to use. Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- Next, add your softened butter to a large bowl, along with the brown and white sugar. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. You want to make sure the butter is completely softened at room temperature.
- Add in the vegan egg and vanilla extract and beat again until everything is combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and beat until everything comes together and you can easily form the batter into a ball.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix until they’re completely incorporated.
- You can bake these cookies immediately if you want to, but I prefer to chill the dough for at least an hour before baking. Dough can be chilled up to about 5 days in the refrigerator if needed.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Form the dough into balls, any size you like, and place on a baking sheet. Bake cookies until the bottom is just browned but the top still looks a little bit underdone (they will finished cooking as they cool and this will ensure that they are gooey on the inside). Cookies will take about 10 minutes total. I like to take the cookies out after about 5 minutes and bang the cookie tray on the top of the oven so that they aren’t quite as thick. Sometimes I do that a few times during the cooking process.
- Remove cookies from the oven and place on a cooling rack until ready to eat.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I really need to chill the dough before baking? Chilling the cookie dough before baking is important so that your cookies don’t spread too much. They’ll still taste good if you don’t chill the dough but they will probably be much thinner than I prefer.
- How do I know when they’re perfectly done? I like to keep a close eye on my cookies while they bake. I don’t want them too browned on the top and like to take them out just a touch before I think they’re done so they’re extra gooey inside. I know everyone has their own chocolate chip cookie preferences though!
- Can the cookie dough be frozen? Yes, freeze in an airtight container (I prefer a ziplock freezer bag) for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator before using.
- Can the dough be refrigerated before using? Yes, I recommend chilling for at least 2 hours but it can also be refrigerated for about 5 days.
- What is the best way to store the cookies? I like to store my cookies on the counter in an airtight container with a slice or two of bread. The bread helps to keep the cookies nice and soft.
- Can the cookies be frozen? Yes, freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
How a Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe question that I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I’ll get back to you ASAP!
Looking for more cookie recipes?Print
*This post contains affiliate links, thank you for supporting She Likes Food!