These fresh and flavorful Vegetarian Breakfast Pitas are packed with lots of vegetables and protein! They’re made using hard boiled eggs, feta cheese, hummus, pesto, fresh veggies and herbs. They’re great for a healthy breakfast on a warm summer morning when you don’t feel like cooking too much.
It’s finally starting to feel like summer, which means I want to do as little cooking as possible. I also like to enjoy a lighter breakfast that’s packed with fresh veggies. These Vegetarian Breakfast Pitas are full of vegetables and protein and they are the perfect way to start the day!
Why You’ll Love These Vegetarian Breakfast Pitas!
- They’re easy to make – If you prep the eggs ahead of time, you can throw together these pitas in just about 5 minutes.
- Packed with Protein – These breakfast pitas have about 19 grams of protein each, if you use two eggs in each one. They also have protein from the hummus and feta cheese.
- A great way to start the day – You’ll feel healthy and full after eating these delicious breakfast pitas. They’ll provide energy and a good serving of veggies for the day.
Vegetarian Breakfast Pita Recipe Ingredients and Substitutions
- Pita Bread – I cut the pita bread in half and then filled each half with all the ingredients. If your pita bread isn’t hollow inside, you can add all the ingredients to one side of the pita and then fold it over.
- Hard-Boiled Eggs – Hard-boiled eggs are great for these easy breakfast pitas, because you can make them ahead of time to easily have on hand in the mornings. You can also do soft-boiled eggs if you prefer.
- Hummus – Hummus adds protein and goes well with the hard-boiled eggs. You can use plain or flavored hummus.
- Pesto – I wanted to add an additional sauce, besides the hummus, and pesto sounded like it would go great with all the other flavors and ingredients. You can use homemade or store-bought.
- Feta Cheese – I had some feta cheese on hand so I added it to these breakfast pitas, but you can omit it if you like. It adds nice nice saltiness and creaminess.
- Veggies – I used thinly sliced cucumber, tomato and red onion. You can use any kind of fresh vegetables you like.
- Fresh Herbs – I used fresh dill, but any fresh herbs will work. Fresh herbs just help add some extra flavor and are nice to use in the summertime.
- Salt and Pepper – I like to add a little salt and pepper to the eggs and veggies to make sure they are well seasoned.
How To Make Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Pitas
- Peel your hard boiled eggs and cut them into thin slices. Add the sliced eggs to a plate, along with the sliced vegetables. Season well with salt and pepper, to add extra flavor.
- Prepare your pita bread. Cut the pita in half and then make sure you can easily open each half. You can warm your pita bread or use it at room temperature.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of hummus inside of the pita and then spread about 1 tablespoon of pesto sauce on the other side of the pita. Next, layer with your feta cheese, hard boiled egg slices and veggies. Top with a sprinkle of fresh herbs and enjoy!
Breakfast Pita Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Can these pitas be made vegan? To make vegan, you could replace the hard-boiled eggs with cooked tofu and the feta cheese with vegan feta, or omit.
- Can gluten free pita bread be used? Yes, you can definitely use gluten free pita bread for this recipe. If you aren’t able to open up the pitas, you can just fold the pita over.
- Can these breakfast pitas be made ahead of time? I would suggest prepping ahead of time the hard boiled eggs and slicing the vegetables, so you can quickly throw the pita together in the morning. They may get a little soggy if the entire pita is prepped days in advance.
- Can other vegetables be used? Yes, you can use whatever veggies you like!
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!