These Potato Egg and Cheese Breakfast Tacos look like they came from a restaurant, but you can easily make them in your own kitchen! These vegetarian breakfast tacos are great for a weekend breakfast or Mother’s Day brunch. Add some avocado and pico de Gallo and everyone will be so impressed with these delicious potato breakfast tacos!
Mother’s Day is right around the corner, and instead of going out for brunch this year, you should make these delicious Potato Egg and Cheese Breakfast Tacos! They’re impressive looking, but also homey and comforting. Top with pico de Gallo and guacamole and everyone will be wowed!
These Potato Egg and Cheese Breakfast Tacos are inspired by a very similar taco that was served at my dad’s restaurant. I talk a little bit more his restaurant, and his delicious salsa, in this post here, if you’re interested in learning more!
Why You’ll Love These Vegetarian Breakfast Tacos!
- They’re easy to make for a crowd. These tacos are great if you’re making breakfast for a lot of people. You can make a big batch of home fries and scrambled eggs and then assemble all the tacos on a sheet pan and bake all at once.
- These tacos are a great vegetarian breakfast option. The potatoes make a nice addition to the eggs and beans in this taco and make it a little more filling, without adding bacon or sausage.
- They’re great for breakfast for dinner. If you love eating breakfast for dinner, these Potato Egg and Cheese Breakfast Tacos are a great option because they’re savory and filling!
Potato Egg and Cheese Breakfast Taco Recipe Ingredients
- Tortillas – I like to use corn tortillas for these tacos, but flour tortillas will also work. It just depends on your preference.
- Eggs – I just scrambled a few eggs with salt and pepper, nothing fancy! You can prepare your eggs anyway you like. You could also make a tofu scramble and use that instead of eggs if making vegan.
- Potatoes – I used my quick and easy home fries that I posted yesterday. They’re easy to make and add lots of flavor.
- Beans – You can use either a can of refried beans or you can make your own. I have a refried pinto bean recipe, as well as Mexican inspired black bean recipe that would work great. Both can be made ahead of time.
- Toppings – These breakfast tacos are great topped with pico de Gallo, hot sauce, salsa, avocado, guacamole, cilantro, etc…
How To Make These Easy Potato Egg and Cheese Breakfast Tacos
The instructions look long, but most of them are just explaining how to make the potatoes, which are actually really quick and easy!
- Start by preparing your potatoes. Thoroughly wash and dry your potatoes. I like to make these home fries with the skin still on because the skin gets nice and crispy, and it’s much quicker not to peel them! Use a metal fork to carefully prick holes in all sides of the potatoes. Place potatoes on a microwave safe plate and microwave potatoes until fork tender, but not falling apart. You want the potato to be fully cooked but also have a little give in the middle. I usually just use the baked potato button and cook the potatoes for about 2-3 minutes, flip and cook for another 2 minutes or so.
- The potatoes will be really hot, so you can either carefully dice them right away or allow them to cool before dicing. You want to cut the potatoes into bite size pieces, you can make them whatever size you like. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Let oil heat up and then add the potatoes, paprika, granulated garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix everything together and make sure the potatoes are completely coated with the oil and seasonings. Use a spatular to press down the potatoes in a single layer and let them cook for about 3-4 minutes without touching them. Flip potatoes and let cook on the other side until potatoes are golden brown. The longer you cook them, the crispier they will get, so it’s up to you! Sometimes I like to sprinkle a little extra salt on them after they’ve finished cooking, totally optional though.
- Make your eggs. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add cooking spray, or butter. I like to beat the eggs in a bowl before adding to the hot pan. Season with salt and pepper and mix eggs together and cook until they are scrambled to your desired doneness.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. I like to heat my corn tortillas on an open gas stove flame or in a skillet with some cooking spray first. Place corn tortillas down on your baking sheet and spread each one with about 2 tablespoons refried beans. Next, divide the scrambled eggs up equally between the tortillas and top with a big spoonful of the potatoes. Add a tablespoon or two of shredded cheese to the very top and bake in the oven until cheese is melted and tacos are heated through, about 10 minutes.
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Are these tacos gluten free? They are gluten free as long as you use gluten free corn tortillas.
- Can these breakfast tacos be made vegan? Yes! Just use vegan cheese and substitute the scrambled eggs with tofu scramble, or Just Egg.
- Can these be made ahead of time? They’re best when served fresh from the oven, but you could make them ahead of time and warm them in the oven just before serving.
- How long do leftovers keep in the refrigerator? They will keep for about 3-4 days, when stored in an airtight container.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!
Looking For More Vegetarian Mother’s Day Brunch Recipes?Print