Pico De Gallo is a classic chunky salsa made with just a few fresh ingredients. Dip chips into it or add it to tacos, burrito bowls and more!
I haven’t always loved chunky cooked salsa, but when it comes to fresh salsa like this Pico De Gallo, I love when it’s chunky! Pico De Gallo is easy to make and you’ll want to have a batch in the refrigerator all summer long 🙂
In my opinion, fresh salsa is the absolute best! I have a blended fresh salsa recipe on here that I make all the time and I thought it was time to add my favorite fresh Pico De Gallo recipe too!
What Is Pico De Gallo?
Pico De Gallo is basically just a type of salsa. It’s traditionally made with tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt. I also sometimes add garlic to mine because I love the taste. The ingredients are left chunky which makes it different than other traditional salsas that are blended or stewed.
Pico De Gallo Ingredients
Since there are so few ingredients and they’re all fresh, it’s important to use high quality.
- Tomato – Homegrown tomatoes would be great in this recipe, but if you don’t have them I like using the vine ripe tomatoes you can find at most grocery stores. You want your tomato to be perfectly ripe since it is the main ingredient.
- Onion – I really like white onion in this recipe. It has a really nice crunchy bite and is sweeter than a red onion. Any onion would work though.
- Cilantro – This recipe is not for cilantro haters! I love both the flavor and color that the cilantro gives and I would say there are really no substitutions for it. If you really want to make this recipe and absolutely hate cilantro, you could sub parsley or another fresh green herb.
- Jalapeno or Serano Pepper – I used jalapeño pepper because that is what I usually have on hand. Either pepper would work. If you can’t do a lot of spice you could sub regular green bell pepper or a pickled jalapeño that isn’t as spicy as fresh.
- Lime Juice – Fresh lime juice is a must! Lime juice is a classic Mexican flavor and adds such a nice tang and freshness here.
- Although this is a chunky salsa, you want to keep everything pretty small diced. You don’t want huge chunks of tomato, especially when dipping chips in the pico de Gallo.
- You want all the pieces of each separate ingredient to be the same size. You don’t want one large piece of jalapeño while the others are small. I like to keep everything very uniform. This recipe will help you develop your knife skills! 🙂
- You can store this pico de Gallo in the refrigerator for about 3 days or so. I find that if you let it sit overnight the flavors really develop and it tastes even better than when you first made it.
- Here are a few recipe ideas for you to enjoy your pico de Gallo with: tacos, burrito bowls, quesadillas, pizza, rice, enchiladas and so much more!
This Pico De Gallo is so fresh and delicious! Enjoy it with your favorite Mexican food dishes.
- 4 cups small diced tomatoes
- 1 cup small diced white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup small diced jalapeño, or more if desired
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix until combined. Enjoy with your favorite Mexican food recipe!
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 3 days.