This Winter Panzanella Salad is perfect for a delicious and healthy make ahead lunch! It’s packed with veggies protein and crispy bread!
My mom is visiting this week! Ever since I went off to college I have never lived very close to my family, I’ve always been at least a few days drive away. When I was younger it was exciting to be out west on my own, but as I get older it makes me a little sad. I have a 6 month old and I would really love him to grow up having a wonderful relationship with his grandparents.
I do love living out west though, so maybe I can convince everyone to move out here! It’s so great when Eli’s grandparents come to visit though because they can play with him all day and I get to lay on the couch and have some grown up time! Or if I’m being real, my mom can keep Eli occupied while I cook and take photos for the blog.
Which is exactly what happened this morning when I made this Winter Panzanella Salad with Roasted Vegetables. It’s all good though, my mom gets baby snuggles and a delicious lunch! Panzanella salad is one of my favorite salads, although I’m not sure if it counts as a real salad. I did add some roasted veggies and baby kale to this one though, so that counts for something. This panzanella is also loaded with white beans and crispy bread so you can eat it as a lunch or dinner and you’ll be left feeling happy and full!
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! It’s finally feeling cold here so we’ll be outside soaking up the few days of winter we have gotten this year.Print
Winter Panzanella Salad with Roasted Vegetables
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cups thinly sliced parsnips
- 1/2 small purple onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 6 cups cubed bread, gluten free if necessary
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chopped baby kale or spinach
- Olive oil
- Black Pepper
Apple Cider Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. On a large sheet pan, toss together the carrots, parsnips, onion, thyme, 2 teaspoons olive oil, scant 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bake until vegetables are fork tender, 30-35 minutes.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil and cubed bread. Cook until bread is crispy on the outside, 5-7 minutes.
- Add all vinaigrette ingredients to a small bowl or jar and whisk until combined.
- In a large bowl add the roasted vegetables, toasted bread, beans and kale. Mix until combined and then pour over desired amount of dressing. If making salad ahead of time, wait until serving to add dressing.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Salad, Gluten Free, Vegan
Katie @ Whole Nourishment says
I love panzanella, when I get around to making it which isn’t too often. So thanks for the reminder. This is a perfect winter version, and I like the bright dressing in this especially. Cuts through the rich roasted flavors and bread. Perfect combo!
And enjoy family time with your mom. 🙂
She Likes Food says
I don’t make it as much as I should either! Thank you so much, Katie!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
Yay for having your mom visit! I’m sure that’s so nice for both you and Eli. And hopefully you can relax a little! This salad looks gorgeous! I’m loving those roasted veggies in here. Such pretty colors, Izzy!
She Likes Food says
It’s been so nice! Thanks, Gayle!
Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary says
OMG, YAY! I hope you have the BEST time with you mother!! You should totally make her this salad, because it looks AMAZING! Panzanellas are one of my favorite salads, because gimme all the carbs, so I LOVE that you winterized it! The roasted veggies in here are just perfect! I can’t wait to try this! Cheers, girl!
She Likes Food says
Thank you!! It’s going by way too fast! She loved the salad 🙂