This Make Ahead Bean Burrito Recipe is so easy to make and great to have in the freezer for a quick and easy meal!
I’m not lying when I say that I could live on bean burritos, which is why I love to have my freezer stocked with these easy Make Ahead Bean Burritos! I came up with this recipe when I was prepping freezer meals for after baby and I was so glad to have these on hand.
I’m always surprised at how expensive and small the store-bought frozen bean burritos are so I thought it would be a good idea to try to make my own. Not only is it much cheaper to make your own but these homemade bean burritos are much more flavorful too!
I’ve also realized that there’s really no attractive way to take a photo of a bean burrito haha 🙂 So, you’ll just have to bare with me and believe that although these aren’t the prettiest things on the planet, they’re really tasty! I seriously almost ate half of the filling with a spoon!
One of the great things about this bean burrito recipe is that you can easily throw in any other burrito filling ingredients that you like. The only thing you need to watch out for is just making sure the ingredients are freezer friendly if you plan on freezing these, which I highly recommend 🙂
These were seriously so great to have in the freezer after baby was here. I ate them for lunches and dinners and they were always so filling and really hit the spot.
Recipe tips for Make Ahead Bean Burritos:
- I used really large whole wheat tortillas for mine but you can use any kind and any size that you like. You will get a different amount of burritos depending on what size tortilla you use though.
- It may be necessary to warm you tortillas a little bit before rolling them to ensure that they don’t break.
- If you aren’t making them to eat right away it’s important that you let them cool completely before refrigerating or freezing them. This will decrease the amount of moisture in them so they won’t be soggy when you defrost them.
These Make Ahead Bean Burritos are perfect for stocking the freezer with for a quick and easy meal anytime!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 (15 oz) can refried beans
- 1 (15 oz) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed (or about 3 cups)
- 1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup cooked rice, white or brown
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6–8 large tortillas
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil and onion. Cook onion until softened, 3-5 minutes. Next add all the remaining ingredients and mix until combined. Cook until heated through, 7-10 minutes. Remove pot from the heat and let mixture cool completely.
- Lay out your tortilla and in the middle add 1/2 – 1 cup burrito mixture. How much you add will depend on how large your tortillas are and how big your want your burritos to be. I had large tortillas and added about 3/4 cup mixture to them.
- Form the mixture into a little log in the middle of the tortilla and fold the sides over. Then roll up your burrito kind of like you are wrapping a present. You may need to cut off any excess tortilla at the bottom if they are really large.
- Wrap each burrito in plastic wrap and then store in a freezer friendly container for up to 3 months.
- Cook burritos from frozen: Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 40 minutes, flipping once, until heated through. Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes. Cook in a sauté pan until browned and heated through, 15-20 minutes on each side.
- Cook burritos from thawed: Bake in a 425 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, flipping once, until heated through. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Cook in a saute pan until browned and heated through, about 10 minutes on each side.