The Best Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins you will ever eat! They’re packed with applesauce and fresh apples and tons of warm cinnamon! They’re great for breakfast, snacks and dessert!
I promise that I don’t use the word “Best” lightly here! These really are the Best Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins! They’re soft, moist and packed with so much delicious apple flavor! They’re also refined sugar free and you can easily make them vegan.
We are big muffin eaters around here. Like, I make a batch of them and they’re usually gone in a few days. I’ve tested these Best Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins quite a few times now so I told my husband he could take these ones to share with his co-workers.
But, then I took them out of the oven, had a bite and told him we were actually keeping them here haha. Which is probably a huge mistake because I can’t stay away from them!
Eli really likes them too though and they’re packed with applesauce and apples so he’s getting some fruit servings in. They’re also great for snacking on the go.
I know the term “healthy” can be a bit controversial. What’s healthy for someone isn’t always healthy for everyone. When I call these healthy muffins I’m calling them that because they’re packed with tons of apples, made with coconut oil and unrefined sugars (coconut sugar and pure maple syrup).
Tips for these Best Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins:
- I used all purpose flour but you can also use whole wheat flour if you like. A good gluten free 1:1 blend would probably also work.
- I used eggs but you can also use flax or chia eggs.
- I grated my apples because when I diced them up my son picked them all out even though he does like apples. You can most certainly use small diced apples if you like though.
- You can use whatever kind of apple you like, I prefer Granny Smith when baking.
- I squeezed all the water out of the grated apples so I didn’t add any unnecessary liquid to the recipe. If you dice your apples that is not needed.
- I like to use unrefined coconut oil because it doesn’t make your baked goods taste like coconut.
These Best Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins are packed with tons of apples and warm cinnamon! They’re also refined sugar free and great for breakfast or snacks.
- 2 1/3 cup all purpose flour, or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, use refined if you don’t want any coconut taste
- 1 heaping cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, grated with the water squeezed out
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with parchment or silicone liners.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl add the coconut oil, coconut sugar, applesauce and maple syrup. Mix until combined with an electric mixer and then add the vanilla extract and eggs, one by one, and mix again.
- In two batches, add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix well between each addition.
- Stir in the grated apples and make sure everything is combined well.
- Use a 1/4 cup scoop to scoop the muffin mixture into the muffin tin. You should get 12 muffins.
- Bake muffins until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let muffins cool on a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes before eating. If you try to eat them immediately they will stick to the liners.
Muffins are best stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They hold up ok on the kitchen counter but don’t last quite as long.
Muffins can be frozen in a freezer friendly container for up to 3 months