One thing that I was really looking forward to while being pregnant (aside from the fact that a human is growing inside of me and I get to meet him soon!) was having crazy pregnancy cravings. I was so ready to send my husband to the grocery store at 3 in the morning to get me pickles and ice cream. But, fortunately for him, that hasn’t happened yet!
Although, I did get a strong craving for fruit by the foot (remember that?!) for a few minutes today. One thing that I have been eating much more of lately is pepper jack cheese though. I’m not sure if it’s a craving or if I just now discovered how delicious it is. Either way, I’ve been putting it on everything lately.
And the pepper jack cheese just so happens to go perfectly on these Black Bean Fajita Veggie Burgers! For these burgers I used my Easy Vegan Black Bean Burger recipe and then topped them off with some pepper jack cheese and seasoned peppers and onions. These veggie burgers are one of my favorite ones yet and I plan on making them all summer long! I hope you enjoy them too 🙂Print
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- 1–15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained (or about 1½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon chunky salsa
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, divided gluten free if necessary
- Olive oil, for browning burgers
- 4–6 slices of pepper jack cheese, if desired
- Guacamole, if desired
- 4–6 hamburger buns, gluten free if necessary
Peppers & Onions
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 small red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium sized yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Make the burgers: Add all ingredients plus ¼ cup of the bread crumbs to a food processor. Process for 10-15 seconds, until all ingredients are blended together, but still a little bit chunky. Transfer mixture to a medium sized bowl and refrigerate for about ten minutes. Remove from the refrigerator and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs. Form mixture into patties. You will get about 4-6 patties, depending on the size you make them. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper and place black bean burgers on. Refrigerator for about 20 minutes.*
- While burgers are chilling, saute the peppers and onions. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the olive oil, peppers, onions, spices and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook mixture until peppers are tender and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and coat the bottom with olive oil. Cook the burgers for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until crisp and heated through. Top with cheese slices and cover until melted. Place burgers on a bun and top with pepper and onion mixture and guacamole, if desired.
*The longer your refrigerate the burgers before cooking them, the firmer they will be.