This Broccoli Cheese Casserole is a fun new take on an old classic! It’s low carb, keto friendly and so delicious! Serve it as a side dish or a main dish!
Broccoli and cheese is such a timeless combination. I’m thankful to say that I can get my children to eat broccoli without smothering it with cheese, but since it’s the holiday season I thought I’d make a super comforting Broccoli Cheese Casserole that is low carb and keto friendly!
If you know me you know that I am not low carb or keto. But, recently I’ve been trying to cut back on carbs and can’t even remember the last time I cooked regular rice. I’ve been loving cauliflower rice lately and I thought it would be great in this Broccoli Cheese Casserole. I also used chopped up almonds as a crispy topper instead of breadcrumbs and they add such great flavor!
My Broccoli Cheese Casserole Recipe
I don’t remember my mom ever making a traditional broccoli cheese casserole so I kinda just made this one up myself. Besides the cheddar cheese, it’s pretty light and healthy so you can feel good about eating it!
This casserole can be enjoyed as a side dish or main dish. It would be a great side for the holiday table or for a cozy dinner. I’ve also thought about mixing it with some pasta, which wouldn’t be low carb, but still tasty!
Broccoli Cheese Casserole Ingredients
- Broccoli – I like to use fresh broccoli and cut the florets into small, bite size pieces so they’re easy to eat and they cook faster. If you’re using frozen broccoli, just make sure to cook all the water out so the casserole isn’t soggy.
- Cheese – I like to use a sharp white cheddar cheese because I love the flavor. You can use any kind of cheese you like though.
- Cauliflower Rice – I subbed cauliflower rice for regular rice to make it low carb and more of a vegetable side dish. You can make your own cauliflower rice or buy it frozen.
- Toasted Almonds – Instead of topping my casserole with bread crumbs, I opted to use chopped up toasted almonds and it’s so good! They add a nice flavor and also help to keep it low carb.
How To Make This Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- I start by cooking the broccoli in a pan with some olive oil and salt. I like it when the broccoli still has some crunch to it so you don’t want it to get completely soft.
- I then remove the broccoli and brown a diced shallot with some garlic. Next, add in the cauliflower rice and cook for a minute or two.
- Lastly, add back in the broccoli plus your grated cheese, mix until combined and then top with the almonds. Bake until bubbly and cheese is melted, about 30 minutes.
This Broccoli Cheese Casserole is low carb, keto friendly and so delicious! Enjoy as a side or main dish!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 6 cups broccoli florets, small diced
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces cauliflower rice, or about 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese, I used sharp white cheddar, divided
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup diced toasted almonds, I blended mine in a food processor
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat a large, oven safe, pan over medium heat and add one teaspoon olive oil, broccoli and a pinch of salt. Cook until broccoli is tender, 10 minutes. Remove broccoli from pan, add remaining one teaspoon olive oil and shallot. Cook until shallot is starting to brown and then add garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add in cauliflower rice, mix together and cook until heated through. Add broccoli, almond milk and 1 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and mix until everything is combined. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and chopped almonds. Bake until bubbly and cheese is melted, 25-30 minutes.