This Vegetarian Cauliflower Fried Rice is a low carb version of your favorite fried rice! It’s so flavorful and you won’t even miss the regular rice at all!
I posted a Low Carb Vegetarian Recipe Roundup last week so I thought it would be fitting to post one of my favorite low carb vegetarian recipes, Vegetarian Cauliflower Fried Rice. I, myself, don’t follow a low carb diet, but I’ve recently been a little more carb conscious and have realized that a lot of my favorite recipes are very carb heavy.
One thing I’ve done to cut back on carbs is to eat cauliflower rice instead of regular rice. At first I thought the concept of cauliflower rice was a little ridiculous but it turns out that I actually love it! And not only do I love it, but my husband and kids love it too! My husband asked if it was quinoa and my three year old said, “more yummy rice” 🙂
How To Make Cauliflower Fried Rice
Making Cauliflower Fried Rice is really similar to making regular fried rice. The only difference is that instead of using day old rice, you use riced cauliflower.
- To make your cauliflower rice, you need to chop up your cauliflower into similar sized pieces and then place it in the food processor and blitz a few times until it’s chopped up into rice size pieces. If you blend too long it will be kinda mealy and have more liquid.
- You then heat a large pan over medium heat, add oil and carrots and peas and cook them for a few minutes until softened. Add your ginger, garlic, riced cauliflower and soy sauce and cook for another few minutes until cauliflower rice has softened.
- My Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe is vegetarian, so I like to add some scrambled eggs for extra protein, but you could also add any kind of meat you like. You could also add some cooked tofu or tempeh.
Vegetarian Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe
Traditional fried rice usually just has some peas and carrots in it, but you can also go crazy and add as many vegetables as you like! I like to enjoy my vegetarian cauliflower fried rice as a whole meal, rather than a side dish. My husband usually adds chicken to his, but I find it filling enough with just the eggs.
And, if you’re not completely sold on the idea of cauliflower replacing your rice, you could always do half and half cauliflower/regular rice.Print
This Vegetarian Cauliflower Fried Rice is a low carb version of your favorite fried rice! It’s healthy, flavorful and easy to make!
- 1 medium sized head of cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, or olive oil
- 1 cup small diced carrots
- 3/4 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 large clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, or tamari (I like to use low sodium)
- Optional garnish: sliced green onion, cilantro, peanuts, cashews
- Cut cauliflower into similar sized pieces. Place in a food processor and blitz 3-4 times, until cauliflower is rice sized. You don’t want to over pack the food processor so you can do it in two batches if you need to.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add oil, carrots and peas. Cook until carrots are tender, 5 minutes. Next, add in the garlic and ginger and stir for about 30 seconds before adding in the cauliflower rice and soy sauce. Cook everything together until cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Crack the eggs, add them to a bowl and whisk. You can either add the eggs into the pan and stir until scrambled or you can scramble them in a separate pan and add them into the fried rice.
- Salt, to taste if desired and garnish with green onions.