This Chickpea Salad with Cucumber and Cabbage is crunchy, flavorful and filling! It’s great for a vegan side dish or a healthy lunch!
It’s salad season and this Chickpea Salad with Cucumber and Cabbage might just be my favorite new salad! It’s packed with tons of healthy veggies, chickpeas and fresh herbs and it’s tossed with a flavorful dressing.
Why You’ll Love This Healthy Chickpea Salad!
- It’s packed with veggies – This chickpea salad is filled with cucumber, green cabbage, red onion and fresh herbs.
- It has protein – The chickpeas add a good amount of protein so this salad fills you up without making you feel too stuffed.
- It’s full of flavor – The fresh herbs add really great flavor, as well as the homemade dressing made with red wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice and lots of garlic.
- It’s easy to make – All you need to do is chop up a few veggies, open a couple cans of chickpeas and throw together an easy dressing!
Chickpea Salad Recipe Ingredients and Substitutions
- Chickpeas – I used two cans of chickpeas in this recipe. You can boil your own or used canned like I did. If you don’t have chickpeas you could substitute white beans, or even black beans if you like.
- Cucumber – I like to use English cucumbers because they have fewer seeds and their skin isn’t quite as thick and waxy as regular cucumbers. Any cucumbers will do though!
- Cabbage – I used green cabbage but purple cabbage would work as well. I just liked the combo of the cucumber with the green cabbage.
- Red Onion – I love adding raw red onion to my salads. If you’re not a fan, you can use green onion for a milder taste.
- Fresh Herbs – I used fresh cilantro and mint and it was a great combo. You can use any fresh herbs you like though. Parsley or dill would be great too!
- Sunflower Seeds – Sunflower seeds add a nice crunch to this salad. They’re optional but reccomended!
- Dressing – I made a simple, but delicious, dressing for this chickpea salad. I used olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, garlic, dijon mustard, and tamari.
- Salt and Pepper – To taste. I add some salt and pepper to the dressing and then to the salad once everything is mixed together.
How To Make The Best Chickpea Salad with Cucumber and Cabbage
- Start by dicing up your cucumber, cabbage and red onion. I like to do a pretty fine dice so that everything is bite size. Add the veggies to a large bowl and then add in the chickpeas and fresh herbs.
- Make the dressing – Add all dressing ingredients to a medium sided bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix everything together. Taste it and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Add in sunflower seeds and toss to combine. Enjoy!
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this chickpea salad gluten free? Yes!
- Is this salad vegan? Yes! If you’re not vegan, crumbled feta would be a great addition!
- Can I make this salad ahead of time? Yes, it actually tastes better after it’s sat in the refrigerator for a few hours. If you want the salad to stay crunchy, I wouldn’t suggest making it too far in advance.
- How should this chickpea salad be stored? Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Can I use purple cabbage instead of green cabbage? Sure! Use whatever veggies you like.
Have a Question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!
Looking For More Summer Salad Recipes?
Lemony Broccoli Salad with Chickpeas and FetaPrint
Chickpea Salad with Cucumber and Cabbage
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This Chickpea Salad with Cucumber and Cabbage is crunchy, flavorful and filling!
- 1 extra large cucumber, or two small cucumbers (I like to use English cucumbers)
- 1/2 large green cabbage
- 1/2 large red onion
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh herbs, I used cilantro and mint
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon tamari, or soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dice up the cucumber, cabbage and red onion. I like to dice them pretty finely so they’re similar sized to the chickpeas. Add the diced vegetables to a large bowl and then adding the chickpeas and fresh herbs.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a medium sized bowl and whisk together. Pour dressing over the salad and mix until everything is combined. Add in the sunflower seeds and mix again. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Category: Side, Salad, Vegan
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chickpea Salad with Cucumber and Cabbage
Nancy Bell says
Do I drain or rinse the chick peas?
She Likes Food says
eileen defrancisco says
This was great, I had some flavored vinegars to use up and swapped in the cilantro/garlic balsamic vinegar and added feta as suggested.
She Likes Food says
I’m so glad you liked it! Garlic balsamic sounds amazing!!
Just made this – so delicious and healthy. LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing.
She Likes Food says
I’m so glad you enjoyed it!!