These 15 Minute Chickpea Tacos are so easy to make! You just need a can of chickpeas and a few spices to make these delicious vegan tacos that the whole family will enjoy.
If you’ve been to the grocery store lately you’ve probably noticed there are quite a few empty shelves. Because of that, I have been trying to focus on developing recipes using just a few ingredients that are all pantry staples. These 15 Minute Chickpea Tacos are super easy and cheap to make!
I usually use black or pinto beans when making tacos but chickpeas are a nice change up and really take on the flavor of the spices without overpowering them.
Easy Chickpea Tacos Recipe Ingredients
- Chickpeas – I used two cans of chickpeas that I rinsed, drained and patted dry. Home cooked chickpeas would obviously be great too!
- Spices – I used cumin, paprika, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano and salt. It was my version of a homemade taco seasoning. You could also use some store-bought taco seasoning if you don’t have those spices on hand.
- Tortillas – I used white corn tortillas that I charred over a gas burner. You can use any kind of tortillas you like. I always lean more toward corn, but flour tortillas would be great too! Flour tortillas would be great too!
- Optional Toppings – I topped my tacos with guacamole and some homemade pico de Gallo. Other topping ideas include: hot sauce, salsa, fresh cilantro, lettuce, tomato, cabbage, jalapeños, cheese or a squeeze of fresh lime.
How To Make 15 Minute Chickpea Tacos
These delicious tacos couldn’t be easier to make!
- Start by rinsing and draining your chickpeas. I like to pat them down with a kitchen towel to get rid of most of the moisture. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Next, add your chickpeas to the hot oil and let cook until crispy and golden, 5-7 minutes. I like to mix my spices up while the chickpeas are cooking. Add all spices to a small bowl and mix until combined. Pour over the chickpea and mix until all chickpeas are coated.
- You may want to add a little extra olive oil at this point if it seems too dry. Then, cook for just a few minutes until spices are nice and browned, but not burnt.
- Assemble your tacos: Warm your tortilla and then add a few spoonfuls of the chickpea mixture. Top with your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
- Are these tacos gluten free? Yes, as long as you use gluten free tortillas.
- Are these tacos vegan? Yes! If you’re not vegan, you can add cheese as a topping if you like.
- Do I have to use all the spices listed? No, you can use whatever you have on hand or use a store-bought taco seasoning if you don’t have all the spices in the ingredient list.
- Can I use a bean other than chickpeas? Yes, you can really use any kind of bean you like, I just like using chickpeas for this recipe because they’re mild in flavor so the taco flavor really comes though.
- How long will the chickpea mixture keep in the refrigerator? I would recommend storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Have a question I didn’t answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!