This Creamy Vegan Pot Pie is packed with vegetables and so cozy! It’s perfect for a delicious fall or winter dinner that the whole family is sure to enjoy!
Who else loves pot pie?! It’s one of those rich meals that I don’t make that often but when I do make it I can’t get enough! I came up with this vegan pot pie recipe when my son was still pretty small and couldn’t handle me eating dairy with his nursing.
So, I completely gave up dairy for about 6 months and had a lot of fun in the kitchen experimenting with vegan recipes. While I’m not currently vegan, I do like to limit my dairy intake and you will never miss the dairy in this vegan pot pie recipe!
Pot pie is one of those meals that I always associate with comfort food. I remember when I was younger, we had just moved into a new house and my mom’s friend brought us over a homemade pot pie as a house warming gift. It was so good and such a perfect thing to bring someone as a welcome gift.
A few years ago I made a pot pie as a meal for a friend who had just had a baby because when you’re postpartum you really need something comforting and cozy to fill you up! I plan on making a few pot pies for the freezer once I start prepping for our next little one’s arrival.
As rich as a pot pie is, they’re great because you can also load them with tons of vegetables! For this pot pie I chose to use potatoes, carrots, broccoli, peas and cauliflower. You can feel free to omit or add any other vegetables that you love. The recipe is pretty flexible.
This fall I’m so thankful to be living somewhere that has cooler temperatures and allows me to enjoy comfort food like this! It’s now in the 60’s here and it’s perfect! I can finally wear pants and sweatshirts again and I’m really enjoying cooking all the cozy fall meals, like this Creamy Vegan Pot Pie!
Cooking Tips for this Creamy Vegan Pot Pie:
- Feel free to omit any veggies you don’t like and add others that you do. Just try to keep it around the same measurement for everything.
- If you like you can substitute coconut oil for the butter.
- This vegan pot pie is freezable, just assemble it in a freezer and oven safe container and freeze before cooking. If cooking directly from frozen you will probably have to add some extra time to the baking process.
- If you don’t like too much crust you can omit the bottom crust and just use the top crust.
This Creamy Vegan Pot Pie is packed with vegetables and so comforting!
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup flour, gluten free or regular
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, or milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 large unbaked pie crusts, I used this recipe for coconut oil pie crust
- Fresh parsley for garnish, if desired
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and cauliflower to a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and boil for 15 minutes. Next, add the broccoli and peas and cook for another 10 minutes. Vegetables should be fork tender.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter and onions. Cook onions for 2-3 minutes, until softened, and then add the flour. Stir mixture together until it resembles a thick paste.
- Next, add in the vegetable broth, milk, salt, pepper and celery seed. Cook mixture, stirring often, until thickened and coats the back of a spoon, 7-10 minutes.
- Add vegetables to sauce and mix until combined.
- Place one pie crust in the bottom of a large baking dish and then pour vegetable mixture in. Top with second pie crust. Press the edges of the pie crusts together and cut any excess off. Poke a few air holes in the top of the pie crust and bake pot pie until pie crust is cooked through, 30-40 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy! Top with fresh parsley, if desired.