This Easy Coconut Curry with Tofu is a healthy and delicious vegan dinner! It comes together in just 30 minutes and is made entirely in one pan!
I didn’t plan to post two tofu recipes back to back but we just finished up my 30 Minute Dinner Challenge and I wanted to share my favorite recipe from it with you! This Easy Coconut Curry with Tofu recipe is so flavorful and will make your entire house smell amazing!
If you’re not familiar, I just hosted a week long 30 Minute Dinner Challenge where I provided everyone with a weeks worth of dinner recipes that are all ready in 30 minutes or less. If you missed it, don’t worry, I’m planning to do another one in a few months so make sure you subscribe to my e-mail list if you want a heads up about it!
I was really excited about all the recipes but this Easy Coconut Curry was my absolute favorite for a few reasons.
Why I Love This Easy Coconut Curry Recipe:
- I’m calling it a 30 minute dinner recipe but I timed myself making it and I was able to get it ready in just 20 minutes. I’m always impressed with a 20 minute dinner recipe but even more so when it has so much delicious flavor like this curry!
- It’s also a one pot/pan meal! From start to finish you make the entire coconut curry recipe in one pan. You do have to cook the rice separately but the tofu, vegetables and curry sauce are all made in just one pan, which makes clean up so much easier!
- The flavors are so good! Curry is one of my very favorite spices and I truly believe it that makes everything taste better. It pairs so well with the coconut milk and the flavors get even better the next day for leftovers.
About This Coconut Curry Sauce:
I use curry powder in this Coconut Curry Recipe, rather than a red or green curry paste. That makes this coconut curry more of an Indian dish instead of a Thai coconut curry dish. If you wanted you could sub the curry powder for a tablespoon or two of curry paste to make it more of a traditional Thai coconut curry but I just love the taste of curry powder so much I wanted to use that instead of the paste.
Speaking of curry powder, I’ve found that different brands have different flavors. I always buy the McCormick brand of curry powder because I find it to be not very spicy and have a great strong curry flavor. I’ve tried other brands that are too spicy for my liking so I just stick with what I know. If you aren’t familiar with curry powders and don’t have a favorite I would suggest that one to start with.
Another thing I love about this Coconut Curry Recipe is that it doubles as a meal prep lunch recipe! You can either make it entirely for meal prep, it makes 4 good sized portions, or you can make it for dinner and take the leftovers for lunches. A few people from the challenge said that it tasted even better the next day for lunch 🙂
Recipe Tips For Easy Coconut Curry with Tofu:
- I used full fat coconut milk but you could also use the reduced fat if that is what you prefer.
- I enjoyed my coconut curry over basmati rice but you could also use cauliflower rice to make it low carb or any other grain you like.
- If you don’t have tofu you could sub in a can of chickpeas and it would take even less time to make!
- I chose to use broccoli, carrots and red pepper because they are quick to cook and I liked the colors but you could use any veggies you like. Just make sure you use similar measurements.
- 1 cup basmati rice, or grain of choice (if using brown rice it will take longer than 30 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 (14 oz) package extra firm tofu
- 1–2 teaspoons Tamara or soy sauce or about 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup small diced carrot
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk, I used full fat
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: roasted cashews, cilantro, lime wedges, green onion
- Cook rice according to package directions. Once finished cooking remove from heat and keep lid on until ready to eat. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Pat tofu dry (you can press it if you like but that will take longer than 30 minutes) and cut into bite size pieces. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add coconut oil, tofu and tamari or salt. Stir, cover with a lid and let cook until browned, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and all the vegetables and cook another 3 minutes. Next, add the coconut milk, curry powder, garam masala and salt. Stir everything together well, cover with a lid and let cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Divide rice into 4 equal portions and top with equal amounts of coconut curry. Add any desired toppings you like and enjoy!