A soft and delicious pumpkin oatmeal cookie that’s healthy too!
How are you all doing this week? I’ve had so many feelings since hearing about the Las Vegas shooting. Incidents like this are always heartbreaking, but I think now that I have a small child, they affect me more than they ever have.
It tears me up thinking that this is the world he’s going to grow up in. I also feel like I should be doing more to fight this kind of stuff. Needless to say there’s been a lot going on in my head these last few days.
One way I’ve been dealing with these feelings is by baking. I’ve been doing a lot of baking lately and pumpkin is usually involved. Oats are usually involved too (see these delicious Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal Cups). I’ve been loving making healthier treats that Eli can enjoy too and he seems to really enjoy pumpkin and oats.
These Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies are really similar to my breakfast cookie recipe so these are great for a quick breakfast or an afternoon snack. They’re soft, not too sweet and flavored generously with warm pumpkin pie spices!Print
A soft and delicious pumpkin flavored oatmeal cookie!
- 4 cups old fashioned oats, gluten free certified if necessary
- 3/4 cup flour, gluten free or regular (I like to use almond flour)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons milk, I like unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 flax egg, or regular egg (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 2-3 tbsp water, let sit 5 mins)
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, dairy free if necessary
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix until combined. Next add the wet ingredients and mix again until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a large cookie scoop, or spoon, and spoon the cookie dough onto a non-stick lined cookie sheet and bake cookies for about 15-17 minutes.
- Let cookies cool on a cooling rack before enjoying.
Cookies should be stored in the refrigerator, in an airtight container, for up to 5 days. They can also be frozen in an airtight freezer friendly container for up to 3 months.