These days breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Really, all meals (and snacks!) are important, but after going without food all night while nursing a little one, I wake up feeling starving.
Cereal has always been a go-to for breakfast, but lately, cold cereal and almond milk just won’t cut it. I need something that contains protein and will fill me up.
I’ve always loved stuffed peppers so I was really excited when I decided to make these breakfast stuffed peppers. You can make these ahead of time and re-heat them each morning, which I think is so important for people who don’t have long in the morning but still want a healthy, hearty breakfast!Print
- 4 large bell peppers, whatever color you like
- 9 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fully cooked breakfast potatoes*
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese, plus more for topping if desired
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds. You can either cut them in half width-wise or length-wise but they will probably stand up better if you cut them width-wise. Place the peppers on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat with a fork. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and spoon the egg mixture into each pepper, amount will depend on how big your peppers are. Sprinkle the top of each pepper with cheese and place back in the oven and bake peppers until eggs are set, about 20 minutes. Serve eggs immediately and top with chopped herbs if desired.
*I used packaged breakfast potatoes that I thawed but you could also use roasted potatoes or boiled potatoes.
Store peppers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and re-heat in the microwave or in the oven.